PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
I recently picked up the pipe and over the last several months have enjoyed lurking on this board, picking up jewels of wisdom as they've been seen. Though there have been several related posts, I have not found some specific list of do's and dont's yet for mouth wounds and burns and am hoping for some counsel. My situation is that I live in Asia and eat, almost by necessity, a lot of spicy food which frequently cause irritation. In addition, when I smoke the pipe (Cob and Grabow) I get some tongue bite and roof of mouth sometimes will sting more..
What are some practical things I can do to help? It has been made very clear that I need to slow down, lots. I have done better since putting that into practice. I also am using a filter and working on packing. Is there anything else? Also, is there any ointment or something I could do to help heal hurts? What about Green Tea? Does it help? Lastly, how much of an increase will I have with oral problems if I just push through the light irritations and smoke?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Green tea can be astringent and make your mouth more irritated. Biotene has an enzyme mouthwash that can help sooth the burn.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I don't know about healing the burns but drinking just water while smoking helps. It also helps bring out more flavor in the smoke. Also, try not to eat spicy food before smoking if you can. Just curious, what country in Asia do you live?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Mouth burn or tongue bite can be the result of a whole host of things. I do find that if I eat or drink thinks with a lot of spice to them then my after dinner smoke can require some care, more so than normal. With that said I find that brushing your teeth before and rinsing your mouth out good can help. What is basically happening is the spice is causing increased blood flow to the mouth which can take some time to counteract or do away with. So you might find that a different blend is less harsh on your mouth after a good spicy meal. I like things with Latakia in them after a well seasoned meal. When I eat something like baked chicken or fish then I like milder tobacco.. The key is to take a step back and change little things one at the time and see what's the trick for you and your pallet.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
I have found that drinking water while smoking helps a lot. Through out the day I can easily drink about 10 cups of green tea; guess I need to cut back on that habit. In China where it is a beverage of choice. Biotene is something that will be checked into.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
You could also look into a bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) rinse, or toothpaste with baking soda - it will help offset the alkalinity of the tobacco smoke.
If you're getting actual wounds, though, my inclination would be to avoid smoking until they're healed - there is some research that indicates smoking can interfere with wound healing, and it certainly doesn't feel pleasant.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
phred, chemistry is not my long suit, but I think baking soda will contribute to alkalinity.

I think something acidic would neutralize alkalinity better: citrus drink or products in vinegar.
If smoking less presents a problem, move to a stronger or more robust tobacco blend so you remain satisfied between pipes.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My God man!
Pipe smoking is all about enjoyment.
If smoking your pipe gives you mouth ulcers, open sores, bleeding gums, and pain, quit smoking it now.
Do not look for advice on PUSHING THROUGH THE LIGHT IRRITATIONS; that's just crazy.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
zekest-Haha. Yea, actually does not give me any of those things nor the mumps or measles... I just seem to have a reoccurring issue on my palate that I battle, and I think this is more likely do to eating very hot food.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You mention that you have been smoking for several months, and that may be a source of the problem. I personally found that bite and burn were reduced as I became more accustomed to smoking. I also found I shouldn't smoke more than a couple bowls in one day, and not everyday in order to rest my mouth. Now when I smoke five bows in a day, I still pay a price. I recommend moderation so your mouth can heal between smokes. But I also believe this problem will diminish over time. Just keep in mind that many seasoned pipe smokers still get mouth or tongue irritation from time to tme; it's not just a newbie thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.