PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Got this email from John Sutherland at Smoking Pipes yesterday, and in case some of you may not subscribe, here is the salient point of the Newsletter:
I can't point to any hard numbers, but I think it's safe to say that among pipe smokers the ratio of facial-haired men as compared to the clean-shaven is probably much higher than among the public in general, and I can count myself among you lot with an unabashedly hirsute kisser.
I have recently noticed that anytime I smoke pipe tobacco with a pleasant scent (and not just "aromatic" tobacco, mind you), and for a while after, I compulsively curl my furry upper-lip up to my nose and take a whiff. I'm actually doing this right now smoking a sweet Japanese-market tobacco, its maple-syrup-y undertones readily absorbed by my 'stache.
And so, I have invented a term for this which I would like to officially introduce into the lexicon of pipe tobacco evaluation, fitting neatly alongside the well established scent descriptors tin-note and room-note: mustache-note. Of course, evaluating mustache-note makes one look ridiculous (in fact, I'm trying to commission someone to covertly photograph me in the act for your amusement), but not any more than, say, a wine enthusiast gurgling a mouthful of Riesling, or a "cupper"s hundred-decibel slurping of a fine espresso, and ultimately offers just one more innocently eccentric way to enjoy the smoking experience.
Assessing mustache-note requires no investment in new hardware, of course (in fact, you can go ahead and throw out your razors - a rather liberating experience), but should you feel the need to make a fresh acquisition to mark the beginning of your new life, we've around 200 pipes we're adding to the site today...
I agree! I am an inveterate 'stache sniffer. Please add 'mustache-note' to all future reviews. Us hairy-faced dudes will thank you.
(NOTE: Smoking Pipes is an advertiser, but if this is in any way out of place, delete it.)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
When I had a stache I thouroughly enjoyed the stache note.
It was like everyone around me was wearing tobacco scented perfume.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hilarious! I love the moustache note. The most remarkable experience I've had lately is a sniff of the stache after a bowl of C&D Autumn Evening. Just Amazing! I think maybe this weekend I'll have a big breakfast of eggs and bacon and then Autumn Evening for desert -Delicious!

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Lol...that's awesome. A new habit that will likely annoy the wife. At the moment I'm experiencing a sweet, woodsy mustache note from PS Luxury Navy Flake I just finished. :D

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Please add 'mustache-note' to all future reviews.
cynyr; if you read my reviews on the main-page, you will note that in my blurb in regards to a particular blends room-note, I also touch on the aroma of the latent smoke trapped in facial-hair and clothing. I feel this is quite important as not only does it provide the smoker with a lingering reminder of bowls past, but can also impact the desirability of kissing the smoker in the eyes of their significant other. If I have been smoking a sweet-smelling blend (particularly aromatics), my wife is all over me - but if I am dipping into my Latakia bombs, I am condemned to the opposite corner of the couch.

Us hairy-faced pipe-smokers have to stick together!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Personally I think all pipe smokers should have a mustache of note.
Untitled-3.jpg

:puffy:

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
schmitz - I DO recall your treatise on facial hair, but couldn't remember enough to search for it.
And lawrence... I almost added another line to the OP which would have gone: "I'm looking at YOU, lawrence!" :lol: That is some epic plumage!

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
I love the smell of my stache after a bowl. I hastly shaved it off at the beginning of spring and knew I missed the smell, but didn't realise just how much until I started growing in my 'winter beard' a month ago. And of course the first time the fiance caught me sniffing my mustache again, she giggled and said 'awesome, I get to watch you make that face again'.
Mustache note.........I like it.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
I love the mustache note both with pipes and cigars. Friends have caught me rolling my upper lip up to sniff it. They used to give a quizzical look but now just roll their eyes. Even the next morning while waking up it smells nice.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Awesome article! and after reading it I've decided I will include the proper moustache and/or beard notes (or whatever facial hair I'm sporting at the moment--right now it's a handlebar and a goatee--Van Dyke), along with any other salient "notes" I can think of: jacket note, book note, work apron note, tolerant girlfriend note. I believe in taking notes!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Moustache? But it's not Movember yet. lol. For those of you who don't know November is prostate awareness month and over the last couple years guys have grown out a silly stache like people wearing pink in October for breast cancer. This year I myself plan on sporting a Hercule Poirot moustache with the curled up ends. As far as facial hair goes, yes I typically always have some of some sort.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Mustachers Unite!!!!
Going back to my high school and college days I had another mustache note, but I will not talk about it here!!

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.