PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Does anyone know how to do this? I'm struggling with this. The bit is so wide that the stress on my hands starting to be painful. It's so wide that the softie does not stretch to the length that it needs to mount without a considerable struggle.
I've got it about two-thirds on.
Thank you!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm wondering if it might help to warm up the softie? Maybe dip it in a cup of hot or boiled water? :puffy:

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
You could get some surgical tubing and use that instead. I comes in different sizes.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Softys come in two sizes. 9mm for most normal stems and 12mm for wide ones. Hit eBay and find many.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I know I'm late to the post - I have some pretty wide stemmed pipes (Howard,Custombilt & Sav 320's) I use standard softie bits , I apply a little original chapstick to the stem / bit area . The softie bit slides on fairly easy, just wipe off the excess. Bonus is the chapstick will help protect the stem from UV & oxidation.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I run the tap water as hot as it will go and hold the softie under the water to soften it. I put a chop stick through the bit and hold it on with another stick. After it is heated up it is very easy to stretch on a stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.