PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Having not driven my car since February last year and realising that I'm never likely to drive again I finally decided to sell it. First of course I needed to empty it of all the usual stuff one leaves in cars, CD's, maps, shades etc and of course travelling pipe and pouch of tobacco.
When I opened up the glove box where I knew my pipe and tobacco lived I got the shock of my life. Rather than the lovely Italian briar I left in there I was to find an almost totally green pipe......it was simply covered in mould. The oddest thing though is that the tobacco in its leatherette zipped pouch was looking and smelling as sweet as when I put it in there.....it hadn't even dried out!!!
1x31-600x450.jpg

2x32-600x450.jpg

3x26-600x450.jpg

4x26-600x450.jpg

My first reaction was to bin it but it's such a nice little smoker and an ideal size for a quickie I have decided to give it a second chance so a serious bit of cleaning is on my to do list.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That looks like mildew I've seen on old gunstocks. Depending on how deep it goes, you may have to sand it away.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
The mould appears to have not affected an area on the bottom...or is that a part you already cleaned?
The other thing I noticed is that the clean area is smooth while the mouldy area is rusticated. Did the rusticated area have the finish removed in the past and then maybe treated with some kind of vegetable oil? Mould will only grow on organic things.
What does the inside of the bowl look like?
Either way, I would do more than clean it. I would sand it down to bare wood and wash with lots of alcohol. The last thing you want to do in somehow inhale even the slightest bit of mould.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If sanding isn't an option, and alcohol doesn't work, what kind of mold and mildew remover would you use? After all, it's not exactly like bathroom tile...

Ahhh, that would break my heart, Jay. I hate to see that. Terrible. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to clean it. I do know that when you get mold in the walls of your house, the experts say not to use bleach, as it doesn't really kill mildew, just removes it on the surface. They use something stronger. And, I have no idea how safe it would be to smoke it after using that stuff.
I would just say toss it. I'm sorry. PM me, I can get you something to replace that mess.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yikes!

You may try:

Soaking in full strength 3% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), both stummel & stem, separated,

Wipe the surface & bowl, brush the rustication (old tooth brush works well), & scrub the airways with pipe cleaners & shank brush.

Repeat hydrogen peroxide soak & scrub if needed.

Soak in white vinegar, then remove & scrub as before.

Hot water & soap scrub.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Before doing anything drastic I would call a woodshop and ask if they have recommendations. I would bet that there are products that could tackle that with a toothbrush or similar applicator.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Try pure vinegar. Will also help prevent it from happening again.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have not seen that before. Wow...
I think that pipe has more moisture than we get in an average year here in southern Arizona!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Damn that sucks. It's funny that the non rusticated part of it didn't mold.
Also that tobacco to not be dried out must have been some SG FVF. lol

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Unless it has special meaning, shit-can it.
Your health is too valuable to subject to uncontrolled experimentation.
Captain Embers will be happy to show you how to make a bonsai container from it!
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OH, heavens. If you're afraid of a little mold, send it to me. I'll pay the postage. Cleaning it as I've said should remove it. Then bake it for a few hours in the oven. (dunno what temp)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
CLR makes a mold & mildew cleaner; and it, or a work-alike detergent, should be available in the U.K.

I haven't a clue as to its toxicity, however. Is the pipe expensive or irreplaceable? If not, I'd pitch it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
WTF....toss it in the bin! You haven’t smoked it in at least 14 months, so it couldn’t have been that special, Jay don’t poke the bear. Your respiratory health is more valuable than some pipe, bin it and I’ll send you a replacement as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.