PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
So for the past two weeks, I've been silently searching for the highly elusive Motzek Strang, but I couldn't remember that name. I only knew I was searching for a specific German rope tobacco. I searched using various search engines and scouring every pipe forum I could find. Eventually, after days of searching, i found a link to the German website. I'm reasonably tech savvy and utilized various tools to translate the HTML from German into English, but just could NOT get it to accept an order. I'd start at the homepage, but every time could only get a few pages into an order when it's just lockup, crash, or turn into a German/English mashup. I was highly agitated and just gave up. I never started a thread here nor did I mention my search to a single person... Nobody.
This morning brought the trash out and checked my mailbox. There was a package which is weird because I always know when to expect one. This one wasn't expected. It said on the box it contained a "wooden statue" and was from Canada. How bizarre is that?!?! Confused, I went back inside and carefully opened the box. Inside was a 100g sealed bag of Motzek Strang and a tin of Dorchester. I probably stood there for a good, solid 5-10 minutes staring at the contents.... very, very confused. I was reasonably certain I had been quite unsuccessful in placing an order... And I'd never told anyone... WTF? On closer inspection, the label said "The Personal Cellar Of Peck..."

I believe, at one time or another, we've all entertained the possibility that Peck is some sort of evil genius and Lord Of The Pipe Universe, but how the F could he possibly have known?!?!!? I am eternally grateful for the gift and the surprise, but a tiny bit afraid to. Peck, I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100...

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
That is a super awesome story! The members on this forum never cease to amaze with their kindness! Let us know how you like that motzek strang.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The great and powerful Peck has the ability to cloud men's minds.
I went to Motzek's site just to see what's what and didn't have a lot of trouble. I saw that shipping 100 grams of strang curly was going to be over $30. That's a little more than I would pay to just try something.
Maybe Arno can tell us of easier/cheaper ways to acquire this tobacco?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
What did you use to translate it? I just went and still can't get anywhere. And so far as I know, they're the only game in town.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Nate that's a deadly story. It's handy enough to order from Mr Motzek, once you make an order he will send you an email with the details to transfer the payment his bank.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Peck does stuff like that from time to time. You never know who the next beneficiary of his largess will be or when he will strike. Believe me, he gets a bigger kick out of doing this than the receiver.

Enjoy your Strang. It's a hearty blend. Make you dry it out as it comes very moist.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I've been "Pecked" before. I had been wanting to try some Fayuum Kake, and he asked for my address to send me a sample while chatting on a message board. What turned up at my house was not a sample but an unopened tin of said Fayuum Kake, AND a tin of 2014 Christmas Cheer. I tried for weeks to pay him for them, but he continued to dodge my requests for his PayPal info. A good guy for sure, but I knew that before he sent me that package. He's got a sense of humor that not many have and a great appreciation for pipes and tobacco.
Thanks again Peck.

Jan 8, 2013
Peck...er... pecked me once a while back. Asked for my address saying something about sending me a sample. My "sample" was a Nording grade 13 and a Nording tamper for both of which I will be eternally grateful. Thanks again, Peck.

Dec 24, 2012
Hah, hope you enjoy it. Not sure what my dear wife was thinking when she put wood statue on the form. I asked her to mail it for me and she probably assumed it was a pipe and I previously told her to put "wood sculpture" when I send a pipe out.
Google translate works wonders for ordering strang, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.