PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Fellas, you want to make your spouse happy? Find a way to let her check off a big item on her lifetime bucket list. My wife has yearned for a baby grand piano since she was a girl. I happened to be working with my friends at an estate sale in Portland. Lo and behold, this sale had a baby grand piano. It is a 1901 Melville Clark and to my novice ear it sounded great. So I got off work and made sure my wife and I went back the next day to look at it. She was thrilled!
So I bought it. Then I looked to my friends who run the estate sale company: Can I hire you to move it to my house? There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and I am pretty sure they cursed my name, but they did it today.
To make matters worse, I had to have them pull an upright piano OUT of my basement AND put my gunsafe down INTO the basement. Heh. They really did curse my name.... a lot. Anyway, the look on my wife's face was beatific as she sat down to play music for my son and I. Happy wife, happy life!

piano-600x337.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You did a good job.
To make matters worse, I had to have them pull an upright piano OUT of my basement AND put my gunsafe down INTO the basement.

I love guns, but it is always good to see a piano rather than a gunsafe :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Happy wife, happy life!
Baby Grands just look so cool. I don't have too many regrets in life, but I sure wish that I had some musical talent. We have an old piano from the late 1890's and I'd love to be able to sit down and bang out some tunes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife brought an upright with her from Long Island, which had been hoisted out of her apartment in Greenwich Village. It had been carried up the stairs, but the piano moving crew said they weren't going to bring it down that way. Nothing sweeter than real live music in the house.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice. Make sure you have the proper humidity control in that room. You don't want anything to warp and the keyboard is particularly sensitive to humidity. Call a piano store for the proper atmosphere. Enjoy the new piano.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thank you for the kind words everyone, and extra thank you to papipeguy. I will ensure the room is the right climate!

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Way to go! We moved from Japan to Hawaii almost a year ago. My wife had an upright in Japan that she just loved, but due to weight restrictions, just couldn't bring it over with us, and we reluctantly sold it. Her birthday was in March, and I went on Craig's List and found a good upright in good condition that the person was selling for a song (pun intended). It cost me more to move it than to buy it. But, she is again happy as can be to have a piano in the house. I'd love to have a baby grand, we just don't have the room. Congrats on a classy move!

Status
Not open for further replies.