Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Mother's Day Gift to Wife

(12 posts)
  1. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fellas, you want to make your spouse happy? Find a way to let her check off a big item on her lifetime bucket list. My wife has yearned for a baby grand piano since she was a girl. I happened to be working with my friends at an estate sale in Portland. Lo and behold, this sale had a baby grand piano. It is a 1901 Melville Clark and to my novice ear it sounded great. So I got off work and made sure my wife and I went back the next day to look at it. She was thrilled!

So I bought it. Then I looked to my friends who run the estate sale company: Can I hire you to move it to my house? There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and I am pretty sure they cursed my name, but they did it today.

To make matters worse, I had to have them pull an upright piano OUT of my basement AND put my gunsafe down INTO the basement. Heh. They really did curse my name.... a lot. Anyway, the look on my wife's face was beatific as she sat down to play music for my son and I. Happy wife, happy life!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're a good Man.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

You did a good job.

To make matters worse, I had to have them pull an upright piano OUT of my basement AND put my gunsafe down INTO the basement.

I love guns, but it is always good to see a piano rather than a gunsafe

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hmmm ..where does it plug in? Just kidding. Beautiful baby grand.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Happy wife, happy life!

Baby Grands just look so cool. I don't have too many regrets in life, but I sure wish that I had some musical talent. We have an old piano from the late 1890's and I'd love to be able to sit down and bang out some tunes.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely piano! Will you ask her to do a Slayer cover?

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Way to go!

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife brought an upright with her from Long Island, which had been hoisted out of her apartment in Greenwich Village. It had been carried up the stairs, but the piano moving crew said they weren't going to bring it down that way. Nothing sweeter than real live music in the house.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice. Make sure you have the proper humidity control in that room. You don't want anything to warp and the keyboard is particularly sensitive to humidity. Call a piano store for the proper atmosphere. Enjoy the new piano.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the kind words everyone, and extra thank you to papipeguy. I will ensure the room is the right climate!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW! Nice gift for your wife.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mig19

mig19

Login to Send PM

Way to go! We moved from Japan to Hawaii almost a year ago. My wife had an upright in Japan that she just loved, but due to weight restrictions, just couldn't bring it over with us, and we reluctantly sold it. Her birthday was in March, and I went on Craig's List and found a good upright in good condition that the person was selling for a song (pun intended). It cost me more to move it than to buy it. But, she is again happy as can be to have a piano in the house. I'd love to have a baby grand, we just don't have the room. Congrats on a classy move!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, cdmjr, jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, jiminks, danimalia