Mother Load: Ben Wade Hand Model 600 Restoration (pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I decided to post some of the restorations of the pipe mother load individually. Here is the Ben Wade Hand Model 600. This pipe is actually in very nice condition. The stem has a couple of small tooth dents and it was very dirty, but it cleaned up nice. Actually after I reamed it, the inside of the bowl doubled in size, there was a lot of cake, which leads me to believe it is a good smoker. Also under the grime on the inner rim was the original bowl staining. I like the design as you can better see now. Where before the whole rim looked like burl stained black, there is a smooth ring of briar matching the exterior stain. The deoxidation process on these stems takes a bit longer because of the accent, but after a few episodes of Dr. Who it was finished and buffed to a nice glossy black. The pipe has a huge bowl and I expect will give me about a 2 hour smoke. I will be smoking it later today. Here are some before and afters on this pipe.

Before

Have started reaming at this point

Almost done reaming

Stem oxidation removal

The finished pipe

K

klause

Good God in Heaven, but that is a gorgeous pipe, and a lovely ressurection. Beautiful!!
I'm certain that pipe will give you much pleasure for many, many years. The Dane's made some of the most sublime pipes I've ever smoked. I'd take one over any other any day of the week.
Enjoy.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Like a different pipe. Great job on the restoration.
It still amazes me how pipe schmokers let their pipes get in that condition. No pride maybe ?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Smoking the first bowl as I type. Nice smooth draw, and despite the size not a bad clencher. First bowl is Wessex Brigaid Campaign.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Missed this thread earlier. Nicely done! (Checking out the Dunhill bulldog next.)
Curious if anyone knows -- are these Ben Wade pipes really Preben Holm pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.