PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
What blend do you think has the most rum topping on the tobacco? I really like black frigate but I'm curious if there is a blend with an even greater amount of rum flavor. -thanks

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I haven't smoked Black Frigate, but three of my favorite rum blends are:
GL Pease Navigator
Wilke Rumcake
C&D Blockade Runner
Each very different from each other.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
P&W #515, and P&W Rumcake have more (aged Jamaican) rum than any blends I know. Sutliff Barbados Plantation, and G&H Sweet Rum Twist (it has more rum than Rum Flake). So does G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I'm mostly a non-aro guy, I like my aromatics quite tobacco-forward, so I don't go for heavy flavorings, but one tasty rum blend in bulk that I enjoy is Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge, which if I remember is Virginia/burley/black Cavendish/rum. It has a good room note and a pleasing tobacco forward flavor. I think it actually improves somewhat with time within limits (probably). The quirky name has a good explanation: Queen Anne's Revenge was the name of Blackbeard the pirate's flagship. You know, pirates and rum.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Silly question.. but what is a rum flavoured baccy like? Is it sweet and boozey tasting and is it subtle? or loud and 'obvious' it's rum?

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
samon, that's a very tough question since taste is a very subjective thing. Its like asking what does green look like :). For example, to me, Navigator makes the presence of rum known at first then the rum remains as a faint spirit in the background always present but never loud.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Wilke's Rumcake is (to me) so aromatic like it takes a fair amount of time to dry. Not quite goopy but close. I find that cutting it with McClelland Va#25 helps the smokability while adding the body an aromatic usually lacks. I have atin of G&H Rum Flake I purchased in 2004. I will probably open it around Thanksgiving.
Mike S.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
G&H Rum Flake doesn't taste like Rum. It tastes more like licorice with a slight Lakeland essence

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Gawith&Hoggarth Rum Flake
Man, I really wanted to like this stuff. I wanted to order a box of it. I wanted to roll around in it like a wet dog in stink. But the Lakelands essence pierces through like the pointy end of your grandmother's umbrella. Makes me worry about Samuel Gawith blends, now that they are made under the same roof.

P

pipebuddy

Akin to Navigator but with some Latakia is Sextant, which I have prefered over Navigator. G & H Sweet Rum Twist is excellent as well. And also Mac Baren's Plumcake.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I like G,H Rum Flake, but for sheer rum heaven my favorite is a custom blend. I infuse some H&H Egg Nog by arranging the tobacco around a small, open mason jar (the smallest available) containing some very choice Nicaraguan rum of my preference. The container is a large square Rubbermaid container on which I then replace the lid. I leave it be for three days until the hungry burley has soaked enough (but not too much) of the aroma in the spirits. The container must be left in a safe place so that the little mason jar does not spill. After three days I simply place the cap back on the mason jar and then jar the tobacco in a large mason jar. I give it two or three weeks for the elements in the new concoction to "marry". When I'm ready to smoke it, I air it a bit and reach out for what to me is pure nirvana. Sometimes I imagine that the infused baccy has experienced a fermentation somehow and I'm benefitting from it in smoking this. Or did I? Did I just imagine it, or not? It must be very good rum. I prefer this choice Nicaraguan rum, although those who do not drink boutique type rums will be tempted to use a more common brand just for infusion. They will meet probably with different results. The leftover rum can be used to clean/sweeten the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.