PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Hey all, I was just wondering the other day whats the most pipe friendly state in the unions and why?

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
But in all seriousness, how is pipe smoking in Texas? Are the taxes as high as in other states and how is it viewed socially?

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
If I recall that last time I looked at the charts, our tobacco taxes are pretty up there.
From a social standpoint, I rarely ever encounter people in my daily life that get in your face with the anti-smoking attitude. Even here in Austin, where the attitude is certainly more liberal, I have never had issues. Of course you can't smoke in public restaraunts, bars, etc. but I see plenty of cig smokers everywhere I go. Obviously I get odd glances for having a pipe but that's only because it stands out from the crowd. Nobody has ever lectured me about the health dangers, etc. We do have those annoying Smoke Free Austin billboards around town though.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
N.C. is great as far as taxes. We still have these silly smoking bands in bars and such. But there are some places out in the rual areas that just don't give a crap about these bans and you still can smoke inside.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
AL seems to be last on board for most things. I live in a small area and can still smoke in the 2 restaurants here. Might be against the law but no one seems to care.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tobacco taxes on pipe tobacco only went insane here in Florida for some reason, not cigarettes or cigars. A tin of SG Best Brown Flake goes for 22.00. As far as smoking, you can still smoke in bars and there are so many outdoor places, smoking is not an issue. Of course there will always be smoke nazi's in every state but no one ever comes up to me. I go 6'4' and 220 an can look mean if I have to...lol.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
well, in tombstone Az. we used to have a huge bar & kareoke joint you could smoke in because it was open air. Was great until it burned down. The wild west has become just as restrictive as anywhere. Thank god we still have very good gun freedoms. No permits, conceal carry. You do have to check your pistola in a bar with the bartender. Freaks visitors out to see people on the street with leather and iron......not sure about tobacco taxes, but I know there are a lot of rural health clinics funded around the state from baccy taxes. Every time I burn a bowl, I feel proud that I have just contributed to all the poor people that use the health clinics. (cough).

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
South Carolina all the way. A 1.5 ounce bag of Prince Albert can be found at the grocery store for $1.98. Then you can turn around and smoke it in a restaurant (in most counties, and unless posted otherwise).

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Arkansas! Before I tell about the tax issue, I just say here because it's so spread out socially. Of course we can't smoke in restaurants or like places, it's just like anywhere else in the states. But as far as pipe friendly it has to be here. Have been a resident for 21 years since my retirement from the Corps and have never been put on the spot with comments, looks or orders while smoking my pipe.

Now, as far as B&M's go... I have no idea about buying tobacco here because I never have. I don't smoke the tobacco's they have in the drug stores or tobacco stations. I order my tobacco on-line and always have. I've never paid taxes. I know change is coming.... But my cellar is large.
(Hope I don't fit the "Tobacco Snob" category from an earlier post! :) I don't care if you smoke it, it's just my preference).

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
it isn't texas--

at the local B&M i mentioned purchasing tobacco on line--the proprietor asked what i paid and could he order for

me--i told him i paid $30 per pound for OJK-- he said,"i can't match it"; $30 would just about pay the taxes on the pound he ordered--
last time i looked (several months ago) PA was near $50 a tub; don't know if it was the 14oz. or the new 12 oz. variety some are now selling--

Status
Not open for further replies.