PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakew

Lurker
Oct 4, 2012
Hello, In the last few weeks I stumbled into the fascinating world of pipe smoking. I was all ready to smoke my first bowl and upon finishing, was very overwhelmed by the very strong taste of tobacco (I was smoking some random house blend from my local tobacconist). Unfortunately not a single person in the store knew anything about tobacco in general when I made my purchase. I went back a few days later to try and find a good aromatic with again, no help from the shop staff. I ended up buying a tin of Mac-Baren Vanilla Cream which ended up tasting pretty much exactly like the house blend. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a flavorful aromatic. I'm looking for something with more flavor taste than tobacco. I figure once I can smoke a few heavily flavored tobaccos, I can then start going into the more "tobaccoey" blends. Thanks, any help is appreciated

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
The Vanilla Cream Flake has really good flavor, but if you smoke it too hot it tastes like straight nastiness. That can be said with any aro really. Try some Blue Note. It burns pretty well and it's hard to get that stuff hot. But, it's still tobacco, so it will always have that "tobaccoey" flavor to it.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
But, it's still tobacco, so it will always have that "tobaccoey" flavor to it.
I have come to this conclusion myself as well, being a new smoker and all.
I was looking for that super taste of vanilla and mild tobacco flavor that hits you in the face...
It's not really like that, but thats ok... Think of it like most aro's are 90% tobacco flavor, 10% added flavor like vanilla. I have been learning to smoke alot slower, also breathing out through your nose allows for more flavor as well.
So smoke slow, cool, if your pipe heats up, let it cool down... do not worry about relights... breathe out through your nose and relax... you should taste the vanilla
Think of it as if you have a giant coke... and you add a couple drops of cherry flavor in it... Its there, you can taste it, you just gotta savor the beverage to really bring out the cherry flavor.

skysail

Might Stick Around
Sep 16, 2012
Sutliff private stock- Barbados plantation tastes good, better than the vanilla cream I think.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Bravo jsiddle!
That's a good answer.
The OP has a very specific set of expectations that may never be met, or it may take ages to find such a blend...
Buckle up and experiment - you will learn a lot about what you do and don't like!
You just have to remind yourself that you aren't puffing on heavily flavoured propylene glycol vapour - it is real tobacco that you are smoking so there is no escaping that taste. If you don't like it, then the adage "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" still rings true - it is not for everybody.
In the meantime just hang in there, learn as much as you can, and perhaps you will come to appreciate a few different blends with more experience.
I honestly don't care for aromatics much so I will leave it to others to make suggestions, but it is also quite possible that you were smoking a very generic low-end tobacco and maybe it didn't supply what you were looking for. Try a few better known and higher quality aromatics - if they don't appeal to you then we can look elsewhere for the source of your problems...

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
My best story for this is that I own a hookah and I am daily cigarette smoker. It took me months to slowly appreciate pipe smoking as a fine hobby. In fact for 4 months I had to condition my tongue a bit, learn about the proper methods of smoking a pipe (packing, tobacco selection, lighting adn tamping,etc) and also using Biotene after a heavy smoke to clear my mouth. I have now cut way back on cigarettes and find that the pipe is sensational in teh evenings for me. At work I am stuck with cigs until I just decide to quit completely.
The hookah plays it's part and came before enjoying pipe tabacco smoking. It is vapor and as such can be very sweet, tasty in fact and light on the lungs. I enjoy breaking it out when the windows can be open, I am feeling festive and have the extra space as the thing can be dangerous (hot coals) when lit.
But in time all this smoking can be learned to be appreciated as a fine hobby with the exception of cigs. Your only choice is taste and what you are expecting versus what you can develop a taste for. I used to dislike latikia tobacco and now I find that mixed properly I do enjoy a bit of teh stuff and a bit of perique.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
jakew, also welcome to the forum. Feel free to PM with any technical questions you may have about the forum.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I find Boswell chocolate cream to have a good chocolate flavor. Most of their aromatics are pretty good.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i would say if you can't get a good (or at least distinctive) flavor out of macbaron's vanilla cream you might be puffing at it. try this: take the slightest drag and allow your lips to part so your not puffing. just let the tobacco waft in and out of your mouth. allow the end of the stem to rest against your molars so the smoke isn't just at your lips. i find i get the best flavor while smoking a pipe if my mouth is partially open most of the time. does that make sense?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Boswell's Berry Cobbler, it is still a tobacco flavor, but there's no arguing that a clear berry flavor comes through in the smoke. I think most cherry blends tend to come across well for me as well. I love Top Black Cherry by G&H, but Hobbit's Weed also has a definite cherry/vanilla flavor.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I had the VCF for the first time a couple of weeks ago and that's some tasty stuff...
I like blue note also if you're looking for something sweet with a good room note, sweet Vanilla honeydew by Dan Tobacco is also good.
I like a lot of the Boswells blends, recently tried Pipers Pleasure and it's so-so, my favorite Boswells are, Raspberry Cream, Northwoods and Apple Strudel.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Peterson Special Edition blends have a good dose of flavor in fact most of their blends pack a decent flavor punch

So does Asthon Rainy day.

Gawith Hoggarths are also good.
When i first tried Aro's they seemed quite tasteless to me but as i have learned the art of puffing i have started to taste more in all blends i try.
I think some of it is getting used to what you are tasting. For instance if you have never tasted Perique or Latakia and they were both in a blend you wouldn't quite know what you are tasting. After a while even if you did not know which baccy was which your brain would have un-jumbled the flavors and you would be able to tell what is what.

Just seems to take time.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
My answer to jakew's question would be to call any one of the smaller blenders who really really do aromatic pipe tobaccos well.

While I'm sure there are many others with whom to check, I would recommend checking their websites, looking at tobaccoreviews.com then calling any of the following:
Uhle's

http://uhles.com/

(800) 877-7024
Boswell

http://www.boswellpipes.com/

(717) 264-1711
Milan Tobacconist

http://www.milantobacco.com/

(877) 70MILAN or (877) 706-4526
Carol at Pipeworks and Wilke

http://vtpipes.com/

(800) 832-8309
Peretti

http://www.ljperetti.com/

(800) 797-9LJP
My own experience with all of these fine tobacconists is that they are extremely helpful & great people with whom to do business

Good luck!

Glen

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
you won't be disappointed with Boswells. Get the Northwoods and whatever flavors that sound good to you. The Rasp or Berry are both great. Piper's Pleasure is different not sure on it yet. The Maple Leaf is boring but that's from a guy who keep C&D Autumn Evening on hand. They included a sample of Peach my last order which I would never think to order but I will be getting more. Bear Blend is on every order I place.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Boswell's Berry Cobbler, it is still a tobacco flavor, but there's no arguing that a clear berry flavor comes through in the smoke. I think most cherry blends tend to come across well for me as well.
Yep yep, berry cobbler yummy... Damn.. I am running out

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I'm a big fan of lanes BCA and if you like a blend that taste like chocolate try Mac Baren's Honey & and Chocolate loose cut . :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.