Most Expensive 100g Tin I've Ever Seen...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I was window-shopping at SmokingPipes.com this morning when I came across this tin of Samuel Gawith Special Edition 2013:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/samuel-gawith/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=129944
Look at the suggested retail: $51.18. For a 100g tin. Even at SP's greatly discounted price, this tin is over $30.
I know some of our non-US members will roll their eyes at this; this is everyday pricing for them. But I've personally never seen a tobacco priced like this. (Of course, you're paying for the tin as well.)
Seems like quite a gamble for an untried aromatic you might not even like.
Bob

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Im curious to try this FYI my first 100g tin of Roll Cake i bought in Canada now that i think of it, My last 100g tin of roll cake i bought in Canada Cost me $60.00 CAD + taxes!!! so ya i guess you caught me rolling my eyes there for a second haha.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Yep, $35 for Captain Black just outside of Toronto. However that does seem quite high, that would cost well over $100 in Canada if it were released here.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Even if you're in America this price can be reasoned with.
If I buy 3-4 good cigars at my B&M I'm gonna be close to the $30 mark easy. Lets say I get 5 hours of smoke time from the 4 cigars. You get so much more smoke time from a 100g tin. 3g per bowl, 45min per 3g comes to 25 hours of smoke time.
Pretty freaking ridiculous if you ask me.
And since I only smoke a bowl a day, sometimes every other day, this tin would last a little over a month if I smoked it continuously. $30 a month for a kick-ass hobby aint bad folks. Especially if that figure is on the pricey side.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
With the title of the thread, I was expecting a much higher cost for sure. Hell, a 50g tin of Penzance is selling for about that much at P&C isn't it?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Oh, I know stuff gets stupid on eBay. But I was meaning at the normal retail level.
Spartan: I'm an avid fan of looking at how relatively inexpensive pipe smoking is on a per-bowl basis, compared with cigars of equally high quality. On a time-per-smoke basis, even a $100 2oz. tin on eBay can come out looking good. I didn't mean to give the impression that this tobacco is any way over-priced or not worth the price. I was just remarking that I'd never seen a 100g tin reach this level on the U.S. retail market.
And, absolutely: If anyone tries this, I'd love to know what it's like. (But I don't love aros enough to give it a shot myself.)
Bob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well the price dropped to $30.02 now. It has armbands, peppermint and lord knows what else. Should one eat it or smoke it?

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Actually, $15.00 for 50g isn't too much when you consider it is a limited run with special packaging. I agree, not particularly cheap, but not outrageous either.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
That is indeed an expensive SRV for US. Perhaps it's a small batch import or something...
In the UK shops it's priced about the same as SG's regular blends. Then again, all pipe tobaccos in the UK are priced almost the same; Clan, Rattray's, Borkum Riff, and Gawiths are all priced about the same.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Unfortunately that is a normal price here in the UK, in fact you'd be lucky to get 100g for anything under $35!
I won it as a prize and I have to say, those of us that tried did not think it matched the description well, although slightly sweet tasting, I would be hesitant to call at aromatic at to be honest.
The virginia tobaccos and the burleys give it more taste than the flavourings do. It is worth trying if you are a virginia burley fan!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have a tin of this that I received as part of a trade. It's ....average at best. It's smokable but I wouldn't buy it again. I do usually tone down aros with a mild tobacco like Prince Albert so it's nice that this blend essentially does that already for me. It's like a really mild aromatic with hints of the flavorings at the outer edge of some decent tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.