PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Cheap citronella candle works. Put it about 5 feet away from you and the smell won't bother your smoke but you will still be in range of protection.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I find citronella to be intrusive, always, I've learned to deal with it, I'm thinking more in the range of driving off mosquitos while fishing.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Rich, I've never heard that before. Have to look into it !

I'm a DEET kinda guy when they start swarming and eating everything alive.

I bought a DEET fogger last year that you spray in the air instead of on yourself. Seemed to keep some of the clouds of gulf coast mosquitos away for awhile.

When I was a kid, we always used Avon Skin-So-Soft. It really works well, and doesn't have toxic stuff like DEET. Kinda smells girly, and its really oily, but it works.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've always heard eating foods with garlic in them help. I tend to eat a lot of Italian foods and other things where garlic is used for some form of flavoring. I'll get bit a couple of times, but they usually avoid me.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I can attest to garlic keeping skeeters away. It's a natural antibiotic too, so it has all sorts of benefits aside from it's deliciousness.
Around here, skeeters aren't as troublesome as ticks are. Those little bastards are everywhere. Anyone know a way of scaring THEM off?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sulfer tablets for ticks . Deet for skeeters .Mr Noble is right the Off latern does work . We have skeeters in Houston so big they have federal aviation administration numbers on them .

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Thermacell...works similar to the off lantern.... but I think a tad better....
Push the ignition on and in one minute..no mosquitoes.. works up to 15 feet away...
small easy to carry.... uses replacement pads and gas..... a must for Turkey hunting and crappie fishing in the spring!

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
A VaPer perhaps? Or just slather some Grapefruit Juice on yourself.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135468567/repelling-bugs-with-the-essence-of-grapefruit

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
The description of Cornell & Diehl Evening Rise says:
"A Burley based blend of Latakia, Turkish & a little Virginia. Pleases the palate while repelling the mosquitoes."
You could give that a try. I know that Latakia seems to repel most of our wives, I'm just not sure how well it will work on mosquitoes :lol: .

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I'll thirdly chime in the school of garlic. If you dont like the taste in your food, there are suppliments, and I've not found a cigar yet that skeeters enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.