PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
I have a 2010 Peterson St. Patrick's Day bent-stem pipe that seems to be having some mortise or tenon issues. The stem is lucite, and a week ago I was going to smoke it for the first time in a while, but was unable to do so when the tenon wouldn't stay in the mortise. It was a loose fit. It's not really a problem right now, because, at the moment, the mortise is holding the tenon OK, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem in the future. If it is, what should I do to make the tenon fit more snugly in the mortise? Thanks in advance.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Carefully heating the tenon with a lighter, then letting it cool down completely before re-inserting into the mortise should work. There are other ways, but this one is a bit more permanent.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Ive had alot of success with the beeswax method, which basically you just apply beeswax to the tenon and put the pipe back together and smoke. I had a stem that was considerably loose, this worked very well. Though i have yet to pull it apart and see how permanent the results are. I just pulled the pipe apart just now and when i put it back together it had a nice firm hold. The heating of the tenon is a good method, but im FAR too chicken to do it myself!!

Status
Not open for further replies.