PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiept

Lurker
Aug 5, 2018
Hello all
New member, long time pipe smoker. I am intrigued with morta pipes. I have only owned briars meerschaum and cobs.

There are a large number of Ukrainian morta pipes from China on Ebay.
They look beautiful but I am skeptical.
Has anyone bought one?
Thanks in advance

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I have absolutely no experience with those pipes, so take this opinion with that in mind. One of my doctors is Chinese. He was born in Taiwan & now is an American citizen (for many decades). He has family in mainland China. We had a discussion a few years back after some story was in the news about adulterated ingredients in baby formula that were sourced in China. He told me that he personally would Never buy a product that would be ingested or put in your mouth from China. He said “ I’m Chinese and I wouldn’t buy it. Over there, they only care about the money. You don’t know what you’re getting! “

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some Chinese products are pretty amazing. Their whole line of stainless steel kitchen utensils and cook wear is a tenth of what it would cost from elsewhere. But some products are suspect. China has never been a good source of tobacco pipes, in my opinion. They have mass produced some corncob pipes that are short-lived junk. Artisan pipes from China are altogether iffy. I know there are some artisans that do first rate work, but you have to study the sources to know who that would be. So no, I wouldn't buy a specialty pipe made in China and channeled through the greatly troubled Ukraine. If you want a morta, look elsewhere.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Some Chinese products are pretty amazing. Their whole line of stainless steel kitchen utensils and cook wear is a tenth of what it would cost from elsewhere.
Charted: How China turned the global steel industry upside down in just 15 years
That’s because some of China’s factories have been pumping out more steel, solar panels, and other goods than the world wants or needs—in order to keep China’s GDP growing and citizens employed.
The net effect for some industries outside of China has been devastating, marked by mass layoffs and closing factories, as lower-priced Chinese goods flood the market—and that has been no where more apparent than the steel industry.
https://qz.com/699979/how-chinas-overproduction-of-steel-is-damaging-companies-and-countries-around-the-world/

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I would also recommend going to a known pipe maker for a good morta pipe. Morta is not the easiest to get or make look good, so put your money toward quality and reputation. Just my personal opinion. I have two Morta pipes, one from Vermont Freehand and one from Heisenberg pipes, both very excellent and not very expensive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dependable pipe making countries, generally speaking, include U.S., England, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Ireland, Denmark, Canada, Japan, and maybe Greece. Who did I forget? Other than those, and the one(s) I forgot, research products carefully. There are some gifted artisans elsewhere, but you want to research them and know what you're doing.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MSO, that's a great list. There are good artisans everywhere of course, but for mass produced pipes, that list is bang on from everything I've heard.
There was a great video posted a while ago about an artisanal maker in China. It was really interesting how he went about the whole process. I'm sure he is the exception to the rule though, but it mellowed me somewhat on 'Made in China' pipes.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Their whole line of stainless steel kitchen utensils and cook wear is a tenth of what it would cost from elsewhere.
IME, most stainless steel products made in China start pitting and rusting in a year or two. My guess is that they don't use enough chromium in their alloy. Like they say, "You get what you pay for."

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
The only pipe I would buy from China would be from one of their talented artisan pipe makers. These guys put out some awesome pipes.....see Ping Zhan for example, one of the best pipe makers currently in the world. But would never buy a no name Chinese pipe....too risky

Status
Not open for further replies.