PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
So last night my local shop had it's Christmas party coupled with local pipe carvers and the rep from Davorin Pipes he carves Morta wood pipes. Basically its 8000 year old "bog wood" that's semi petrified. So its a wood but due to its state it smokes like a Meerschaum. I hemmed and hawed around and settled on well more like had to fight the Guys from RHOX pipes for one. So I wanted to show off my blowfish Mora wood pipe. Also my local shop opened up some leaf that I hadn't tried yet but I'm in love with "Escudo - Navy de luxe", "Briar fox" and "Navy Flake"
P.S. it came with this really nice leather bag and a Morta tamper with solid brass foot. Really nice to see makes throwing in the little goodies when you spend that kind of money on a pipe.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Because the bog it came from was undisturbed for 8000 years, there is a bonafide chance you will get some sort of prehistoric disease. Better be cautious. If you smoke it and have a desire to run around like Jurassic Park, go to the nearest Quick Care facility. :puffy:

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
The rep a really nice guy from NOLA (in face hes a member of this site) mentioned how you could switch from English to Aro's to Virginians and back a forth without a ghosting problem or resting the pipe. So after buying I tested that statement. He's right I smoked a really heavy English to start full bowl then went right to a really good house blended Aromatic smoked that too full bowl then boom right in to Navy Flake. I was really impressed with how clean and smooth they all smoked with out so much as a missed step..

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Nice one freakie! Don't worry about those Jurassic diseases, they'll just make you stronger!
My wife and I were there in the afternoon and saw all those beautiful pipes that NOLAcajun brought up. Not in the budget this year, but we had a great time talking with everyone including the guys that make those nifty Rhox pipes here in Mississippi. Couldn't stay too late as we had our dog with us, and a hour and half drive to make it home. We love going to The Country Squire every few months. It's always a pleasure, and because they really do cater to the pipe smoker, there's always a piper or two to chat with, plus we always come home with something we just had to have. :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's a beauty. Love the shape. Had no idea that morta smokes similar to meerschaum.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
@ORLEY.

Oh yea you had the little white dog.. I remember seeing you there. I was the short guy in the Longhorns Tee-shirt. Sorry you didn't get to stay we all had a lot of fun.
@griffonwing what I've read and was told is that it can be difficult to work with because its more like Meerschaum than wood. But I think it would be fun to try at the least.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
@pitchfork neither did I. To be honest I didn't even know Morta was a thing until this week. But it does smoking this was so similar to my MEER's its a really neat experience.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
@pitchfork neither did I. To be honest I didn't even know Morta was a thing until this week. But it does smoking this was so similar to my MEER's its a really neat experience.
I had never been very interested in morta, thinking that the look and the novelty were the main attractions, but if it smokes like that, I think it would be worth trying out.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Very nice ! I love Davorin's work. Have spent quite a lot of time just looking through his website.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
@ejames we were joking with Toby about how he had them displayed. Saying the blanket was there to catch the drool and not really for the pipes..

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The blanket was a good idea but they probably should have put a glass cover over the pipes to keep the drool off the pipes! :lol:

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
@gigger48 unless it's his pre-meal pipe then your for all intents and purposes screwed.. LOL..Imagine how pissed T-rex would be trying to load a pipe

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Freakie,
That is a very nice pipe! I don't have any of his pipes but admire his work also and have spent time on his website. Enjoy your pipe!

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
@gigger48 - Oh what an awesome thought. Let it be known I now not only want a "Trunk Monkey" but I demand a "Pipe Packing Monkey".
@johnnyreb - thanks I didn't go there to buy a pipe. Really more for the whiskey, tobacco and to hang out with great people. But when I saw this Blowfish my credit card yelled out "buy it dummy before J.M. (Rhox pipes carver) gets it." I waited but when I saw J.M holding it my CC again yelled "He's got our pipe you nimrod, DO SOMETHING! Send me in coach I'm rested, paid off and ready". Not 20 minutes later he came back asking about it.. I felt bad, but them I lit some Frog Morton and didn't anymore. LOL

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That pipe is beautiful! I did not discover Davorin pipes until AFTER my fiance came back from her visit to Croatia last year... sigh.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Hey FF...it was great hanging with you guys last night. I'm so glad you are enjoying that Morta Blowfish. Really enjoyed chatting over a few bowls too...hoping to come hang with you guys again sometime in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.