PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I just put my Fugu through the paces with some Astleys No.44 and what a great little smoker. Clean taste with zero brake in flavor and I never even needed a single relight. I think I may be sold on Morta. Any care tips for Morta? If I understood correctly there is no need to build a cake so I will be keeping it wiped clean.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Simple care, don't let it cake and pay attention to how hot it gets while smoking, it's telling you to slow down. Other than that you're in for some great smoking ahead and don't pay any attention that Morta is only good for Latakia or something else for tobacco it shines with most anything you put in it and won't ghost. Enjoy........

banjo

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Daimyo,
I have 20 mortas...they are my absolute favorite....you definitely do not want a cake to build...just double up a pipe cleaner and swab the inside of the bowl after each smoke...do NOT use a reamer, you could crack the bowl...about once a week I use grain alcohol and pipe cleaners to give each pipe a thorough cleaning. That's about all you need...smoke it and enjoy....
www.blockandbriar.com has some good info on the history and care of your Morta pipe...

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
jmill208, i was thinking the same thing! I had to do a double take because i thought it was a sideways dublin, lol.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The picture does skew the perspective. :lol: Clenching it will produce a perfectly upright bowl slightly canted forward but as a sitter, you're definitely staring it right in the blowhole. :wink: Thanks for the info Fish and NOLA.

blazze

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
I have 2 mortas and they both smoke absolutely anything well. They have a clean neutral taste and bring out many flavors in different tobaccos that I don't experience in briar. You will truly enjoy that pipe. Oh and yes, cake is not needed nor wanted in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.