PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
More and more I've found myself gravitating towards obtaining a Morta. That grain and texture... there's just something about it. Bamboo, on the other hand, Ive not much cared for. I see the occasional nice one, but it's just never been on my must have list. This pipe, however, has caught my attention. I suppose that's called ebonized bamboo? Also I love the way the nodules have been polished/shaped. I'd love to hear your opinions! I'm not seeking support for my own aesthetical preferences, just honest opinions. I find that this helps before placing an order as others see things I may have not noticed or considered. Thank you in advance!!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Nate - that's a beauty! Very Beckerish. The bamboo may be the dark variety, as opposed to light colored bamboo that's beem painted or dyed. Who's the maker?
hp

les

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nate,

Gorgeous but so you know that is naturally black bamboo, there are something like 14k different bamboo types only a few good enough for fly rods, my other vice, and more for pipe making, you will love Morta. Cheers.

banjo

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm not usually a big fan of bamboo but that pipe is very tastefully done and the bamboo fits nicely with the overall design. It gives it a long, slim profile and yet the mass of the bowl stands in contrast. The grain of the Morta adds to the look. I think you have picked a winner. It's certainly a pipe I find attractive. Not your run of the mill bamboo.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Monk, it is a Duca!! Good call! They seem to do really beautiful Morta pipes!
Now that you mention it, it does have a Beckerish profile.
Banjo, I wasn't aware that there were so many colors available in Bamboo. I wonder why I've so rarely seen other colors? Were I a carver I'd definatly experiment with other colors. I seem to only see the standard bamboo.
Seems y'all, for the most part, have the same feelings about the pipe as I did. I just always thought of bamboo as cheap grass, not a pipe material, but certain ones have been catching my eye.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
It is a beautiful pipe and a very unusual one. The combination of the morta grain and the black bamboo yields a very unique result. I like it a lot.
Cheers,
J

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Nate - I have also been considering an Il Duca Morta. I like yours. But these seem to tempt me a little more.

il-duca-barone-3-600x254.jpg

il-duca-morta-bulldog-3-002-427-0279.jpg

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I think bamboo on a pipe really comes down to the carver. I see some that I do not appreciate at all. Others I find beautiful, the one you posted a picture of in this thread Nate, for me, is beautiful! Only thing about that I dislike is the small bowl. But the bamboo in that pipe is done right for my tastes. You should purchase it and tell us how it smokes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.