PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I see many comments about a tobacco being a good morning smoke, afternoon, evening, etc. I even have an open tin of Dunhill Nightcap. But to be honest, I guess I'm not refined enough to even understand. Exactly what is it that makes a tobacco a good "Breakfast" vs "After Dinner" smoke? I just haven't figured out a pattern in what everyone says. Heck even "Early Morning Pipe" and "Nightcap" are both English blends.
Is it lighter flavor to heavier flavor?

Lighter nic to heavier? (or reverse of that?)

Simple flavor profile to complex?

Virginia, to VaPer, to English? Other way around?
P.S. - I tried to search before asking, but my question is probably so dumb I can't even figure out what to ask. Feel free to answer with a link to what I should have asked first. Thanks.

For me, it's about tongue fatigue. The heavier, stronger flavored blends will overwhelm my taste buds, so that if I smoke a straight Virginia or more subtle blend afterwards, I don't taste it. But, everyone is different. You just have to find your own pattern. I'm not sure that this is an issue for those who prefer latakia in all of their blends.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Some of the more experienced folks may have a more refined answer...but I think it's like enjoying different things to eat at different times of the day. For me I often like an aromatic in the morning and then move to a perique based Virginia in the evening....of course an English hits the spot sometimes too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Cosmic nailed it for me. After a Lat bomb early in the day, nothing lighter will even register.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Every post I have ever read relating to this, pretty much echo what Cosmic said. The goal of somewhat lighter blends in the early part of the day is to stimulate the taste buds, as opposed to beating them over the head with a heavy blend.
Everyone is different though, and just like preferences in pipe shape, types of lighters or what pipe cleaners you use... it's a personal choice, and no one is right or wrong.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I agree with the above. It's about complexity, nicotine progression. Lighter more straightforward blends are easier in the day, where as the bolder stuff is better at night. I like a light English (sutlif r blend) first thing. Then I may go to Orlik golden sliced about noon. Then I will go back to r blend around 4. Then finish the day off with something heavy. However it is a preference thing, as is with everything in pipe smoking. Some say fold and stuff others gotta rub it out. It's your call!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You don't have to get it. As said above you are addressing personal preferences. People react differently to Latakia, nicotine and flavors. You do not have to emulate other smokers, just figure out what works for your body, palate, and psyche.
I smoke pretty much the same blend thorough out the day. Maybe changing blends, on a whim, when I get home. Then again I may have an entire day at the house and smoke a different blend with each pipe. Again, it's on a whim. I find too much regulation and routine in my smoking to be boring.
There is no one acceptable method to the pipe. Just figure out what works for you and go with it. If you try to conform with all of the different styles propounded on this forum you are going to twist yourself into knots and be a frustrated smoker. If you are not careful you will finding yourself asking, "When does it get relaxing?"

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Your question is very subjective and my only advice is to find what suits you. As for me I like heavy nicotine blends in the morning and progress to the lighter blends towards evening. I don't smoke heavy nic blends at night because they keep me up. You'll find your happy place, just keep trying.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I like how we've already had a "light to heavy" answer and a "heavy to light" answer. I guess my issue is I'm primarily a Va/VaPer and sometimes VaBur guy. I just don't seem to enjoy english/balkan blends. So I've always been a "go to the cellar, browse around, pick what catches my attention at the moment" type smoker.
And Warren - I promise you, it's relaxing. :)

(and yes, I get the joke)

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The greater the number of different tobaccos you smoke the greater the tendency to organize the times you smoke them. I like lighter blends (Vaper & English) early morning and through the day but stronger ones in the evening (flakes & plugs). But as the prevailing theme suggests, the best approach is the one that works well for you.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm more opposite than most I believe. Think it depends how your day goes. I prefer Virginia in the AM and something stronger or Latakia in the PM. A gentle awakening and less subtle bedtime.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The only times that truly count is what you smoke come daylight and twilight. You can tell a great deal about a person by what they smoke during those two times... Unless of course the designated smoker already knows this to be true. It's the quantum effect, the act of observation alters that which is being observed ;)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
For me, it's not necessarily about strength but rather what goes better with the beverage of that moment.
In the morning, I want a Burley forward smoke because that's what I like with coffee.
During the daytime ... up for grabs but mostly Va's, Va/Per's, Va/Bur's with Latakia usually late in the day.
Your example of Nightcap is a good one because I usually only like that after a rich, hearty meal with a glass of brandy / bourbon.
These are only generalizations, however, and I have smoked Nightcap for breakfast more than once. :)

P

pipebuddy

For me it's all a question of mood. I have at hand, at all times, 3 or 4 tins opened. I choose to open a new tin, rather than another, always in accordance with my mood of the moment.

Every day, I will opt for one or another among these 3 or 4 tins to start my day. Nothing but my mood of the moment throughout the day determines my choice. Right now, I have Solani Aged Burley Flake, Peterson Irish Dew, GL Pease Quiet Nights and Dunhill Royal Yacht, that are opened. 4 blends that are totally different in their taste, aroma, composition, nicotine level, and cut. I don't go by any specific pre - determined order every day, but by what I feel like having at the moment I decide to pack a pipe. I can launch the day with any of these 4 and it doesn't matter. Here, this morning, I started with Quiet Nights. yesterday, with Irish Dew. 'Cause that's what I felt like. It's that simple, for me.

Like jmill208 said, there are no rules. So don't impose on yourself any. Just go with your mood of the moment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true there aren't any rules. Usually, milder blends are designated morning smokes or given names that suggest that, whereas stronger richer flavored blends with more nicotine are associated with evening or night. But so what? Sometimes you want a kick early in the day. Sometimes you want something mild and comfortable at night and before bed. I guess if you really get a nicotine kick you may want to then retire to bed, but not always. I think the Early Morning Smoke and Nightcap names are as much a way to suggest the strength and nicotine level as to suggest a time of day to actually smoke the blend. It's a cheerful hint, not a mandate. Then there is the all day smoke designation, again, just a suggestion of a milder less rigorous blend, but not a requirement. As pipe buddy says, go with the moment.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I can't even imagine smoking during the daytime, let alone first thing in the morning. Just have no desire for it until after work.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Its hard to tell. I used to start off the day with 2 cigarettes straight out of bed, so these days it's pretty much the unfinished bowl from the night before.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
You don't have to get it. As said above you are addressing personal preferences.
+1 Warren. So much comes down to the individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.