PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I woke up at 2:30AM this morning to load cattle we had scheduled for a delivery to a Tyson packing plant in Illinois. I got back home around 4:00AM, did some book work, and then decided to take a nap before breakfast. I was sleeping in my chair when my wife, Leesa, screamed "FIRE".
This is what I saw when I stood up and looked out the window.
firesunrise.jpg

A machine shed burned that held some key pieces of equipment, our winter hay supply, and some other misc. farm equipment. Total losses will be bewteen $1-1.5 million. I guess we'll see what kind of insurance company we have in the next few days.
I'll put some more pics up later, as time allows. We were just about to start harvest, this morning actually. The combine had 4 hours on it. Its a total loss and one of the possible sources of the start of the fire. We are meeting with some John Deere people in the morning to see what we can come up with for equipment.
We have 3300 acres of corn and 1800 acres of soybeans to do.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
Mlaug....hope it all works out for you..farmers are the backbone of our country!

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
WOW, that is awful. I hope that you are done right by the insurance company.

Is this in Iowa? I live in Des Moines.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I'm sorry for your loss, glad nobody got hurt. Hopefully the insurance will help you recover your losses.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Sorry for the loss, but glad to hear that no one was hurt. Here's hoping that the ins people and the John Deere people will do the right thing by you.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
dang man, that sucks.

almost hoping they find the combine at fault, that way you can get your money back from JD and take them to the cleaners.
hopefully insurance covers it though!

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have tremendous respect for farmers and I hate to see any misfortune befall them. I wish you well getting up and running again and getting that harvest taken care of.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
This is what's left of a John Deere 8300 tractor. You can see it underneath the melted sheet steel from the roof that is draped over the top of the tractor.
8300.jpg

and what it looked like in better days....
JD8300.jpg

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
This is the east end of the shed. It was 160X50 with 16ft. high doors.
eastend.jpg

This is the middle portion.
middle.jpg

I know these pics don't really show much except melted sheet steel, but its all I have at the moment. The insurance company has taped off the site like its a crime scene. Today I learned that there is something called a Forensic Fire Investigator, the one today was hired by American Family Insurance. John Deere will bring in their own forensic team. It looks like the fire started in the combine, which hasn't ran for over a week. John Deere isn't going to want any part of that and will be looking for other ignition sources.
Litigation courts here we come!

Status
Not open for further replies.