PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I admittedly suffer from a somewhat uncontrollable and compulsive passion for Rhodies and Dogs complicated by a particular weakness for interesting sets. This addiction often follows a pattern, same pipe, different finishes. Last year I wanted to satisfy a long standing desire to try a Morta pipe and found one on Ebay offered in the Italian Rhodesian style, just what I’d been looking for. I succumbed to temptation and bought it. Remarkably the pipe arrived from Italy two days later and I was so impressed with the service I sent off a note saying thank you. As it turned out the sender was none other than Marco Biagini the proprietor of Moretti Pipes. That lead to an exchange of e-mails and an inquiry about the possibility of making the same pipe but this time in olivewood, another new experience I wanted to try. The briar pipe was just good fortune as Marco had listed it on Ebay and it had such great color and grain I felt compelled to include it. So here they are, my 2016 set, what it celebrates I have yet to decide but I’m sure I’ll think of something (a requirement for me when rationalizing unnecessary purchases). The same pipe in three different materials (Morta, Briar & Olivewood) in three contrasting colors from dark to light, in that wonderful Neo-classical Rhodesian style. The Morta is 6000 to 7000 year old Irish Bog Oak. The Briar a masterful combination of flame grain and a Birdseye cap and the Olivewood features a striking high contrast horizontal grain that perfectly complements the briar’s vertical. Each was handmade allowing Marco to capitalize on the grains and resulted in slight variations in the shape creating visual interest, each is its own expression. Now I ask you, who could resist such a set? BTW I find Moretti pipes to be a remarkable value, pipes much better than their very reasonable price would suggest and Marco is quite willing to fill customized orders, Examples of his work can be seen here,(http://www.pipemoretti.com) and on Ebay.

I’d categorize his work as “Functional Art”, they smoke like a dream. This set will take center stage in my cabinet and deservingly so but it may not be finished just yet. Marco also makes this pipe in several different rusticated versions and I think it likely at least one will find its way into the collection. A rusticated, medium brown would fit nicely and then, who knows what other interesting variations this talented carver might come up with? This addiction could continue for a while (O’ PAD, I adore Thee!).

Note; The Olivewood pipe was delivered to my doorstep within ten days of being ordered. The craftsmanship is obvious in the pictures but that kind of service is truly remarkable considering he hand made it based on my order.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Dutch, I'm impressed!
Fantastic looking pipes and perfect taste.
You will, for sure, thoroughly enjoy them!
Cheers,
Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.