PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
Do you find that you get more Vitamin N from sipping? I have been smoking a pipe for the last couple of months, never smoked before. In my first couple of smokes, I got a big nic hit that made me sick. Started slowing down, and hadn't had that problem until last night.
I was watching a video on cadence and sipping a couple of nights ago. Started to slow down and get more flavor. The next night I tried some Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey that did not settle well. I had a real taste of chemicals and got very light headed. Had to go lay down for a while till it passed. Then tonight I was sipping on some Carter Hall which hasn't bothered me before, and I am starting to get light headed again.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Take notice of the nicotine content of your blends. Some people are more sensitive to the nic than others. Are you moving from cigarettes to the pipe? I did and found just the opposite effect as you, I wanted more nic which led me to puffing faster and blowing thick clouds thru the nose therefore giving me more nic but a hot tongue! Time(8months), has allowed me to be able to now slow down and enjoy more. Do take a look at reviews and notice the strength. Carter Hall can give me ample of the vitamin I crave although its not one of the strong blends. Go figure. Five Brothers is a big one on strength.
Anyway, thats a start for you, the more experienced smokers will chime in here as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brokenkrayon, welcome to Forums. Neither Borkum Riff nor Carter Hall has a lot of nicotine in it, although if you are

very sensitive, I'm sure they have some. I might suspect some of the casing or flavoring with the Borkum Riff, though

it's not usually a problem. Carter Hall seems to most pipe smokers free of much flavoring. You might try some bulk

tobaccos that may have even less. Lanes Burley Without Bite, or if it is burley that doesn't agree with you -- Carter Hall

is burley -- you might try one of the plain Virginias. Sipping should minimize, not increase, any nic effect, and slowing

your cadence should help a lot too. Don't inhale, obviously (not good piping form anyway) and don't circulate smoke

through your nasal passages. These give you greater exposure to whatever nicotine is there. Pipe smoking doesn't agree

with some people, but I think most people have to build up some tolerance, so you will just have to learn from experience

whether this decreases or is just part of how you react. Your tobaccos so far is fairly mild, so perhaps something else is

going on.

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
Thanks for the replies... I have dabbled with cigars over the years... maybe 1-5 a year, so I am a non-smoker prior to pipes.
I have tried quite a few blends including H&H Caramel Apple, Molte Dolce, Moutain Pass, Maple Street, Lane 1Q, and the Just for Him Middle Earth Sampler. So far my favorites have been from the Middle Earth Sampler for taste. My wife enjoys the Caramel Apple, Maple Street and Mountain Pass for room note.
As stated before, I haven't had a problem with the nic hit except for early on while in London on an English blend, that I was smoking at lunch, WAY TOO FAST... :)

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
What video was it you were watching? I'm also pretty new to pipe smoking, and the advice on this forum has helped me a ton with the sipping. I've gotten to the point where I can slow it way down and pretty much just be blowing out whisps of smoke, but I have trouble keeping a regular cadence, so I'd like to see a good video on how to keep that rhythm going.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Then, stay away from Cornell & Diehl "River Boat Gambler" until you really learn how to "Sip". Otherwise, you will never make it up your stairs!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
I have been watching youtube videos smokeringspipedreams. It has been hard to find a good video on the teqnique, but from watching these I was able to work out the details that seem to work for me.
I have been taking small sips, but with a long draw. I found that I need to take shorter draws.

It would makes sense to me that if you just blow smoke, then you're not absorbing the nicotine, nor tasting the tobacco very well. I find that the slower I smoke, the more I absorb. However, the blend dictates whether I will get sick or overdose while smoking slowly and taking it all in.
I've heard both sides of Carter Hall. Some say it's low strength, and some say high. I usually feel the full wrath of nicotine from CH, myself. However, it's nothing like a strong blend will do me, like GH&co Dark Flakes or Nightcap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Captianbob, I'm aging a tin of Riverboat Gambler. Just how bad/good is it? I'm enjoying Big'n'Burley, the bulk burley and

cigar leaf blend, and Billy Budd. Is it a step up from those, or about the same, if you happened to have smoked them?

Yes, I agree, new pipe smokers should go the easy route and not experience aversion therapy. When I first smoked a pipe,

Tinder Box North Sea (Peter Stokkebye's Nougat, I believe) was just fine, and for a long time.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
mso489,
Riverboat Gambler is ready to smoke, anytime. No aging is necessary. It is also a great mixer to enhance strength to mild blends. I love Riverboat Gambler by itself or to add as a strength builder to other favorites when more natural Burley Leaf is desired. It is an excellent blend of "deep" Burleys and it is non-aromatic. Simply try it and enjoy it! It is a delightful "sipper". It does have a strong nicotine-hit. You will become accustomed to it. It may take a few bowls to ultimately enjoy its properties but it is worth it! It is in the neighborhood of the other blends you mentioned and I have smoked those. However, Riverboat is in a class by itself and may be just a bit milder. Let me know what you think.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.