PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
This concerns cigarette taxes and not pipe related so I will post this within this category of general discussion. As of today cigarette taxes in Massachusetts are increased $1.00 MORE per pack. I believe this doubles the tax on cigarettes. People will now be swarming over the state border to New Hampshire to buy their smokes. I am not a cig smoker but feel that his is excessive for sure. It's only time before the politicians whack the other tobacco products with more taxes as well. I believe that cigs will now run about $80.00 or more per carton. Obscene. :evil:

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Wow. They're about $55 - $60 a carton here in Ohio for Reds. My father told me when he was younger, his mother used to buy them at the base commissary for $4.25 a carton. He said $20 in the early 80's would last him a month or two.

Aug 14, 2012
They are higher in NY. I saw regular cigarettes marked $11.00 a pack the other day. I remember when they were 28 cents.

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
As a Canadian I can say that you don't know what high tobacco taxes are :P
Cigs are anywhere from $8 to $12 a pack.

50gr pipe tobacco is $31 to $38 a tin.
That's also before sales tax is added to the final price at checkout.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Indeed. That tax on a tax-thing frosted me so much when I realized back in '05 what we were being charged I quit cigarettes over that lousy 6% assessed on another TAX.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Cigarettes in saskatchewan are often around $15 a pack, as low as 11 or 12 maybe, and theres still a very high percentage of smokers.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I remember when I first started smoking cigarettes. 45 cents a pack. WA has always taken the lead in taxes so they'll catch up very soon.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is why the RYO "pipe" tobacco has taken off and another reason why we pipers need to be concerned. D.C. and the FDA wants to group all pipe tobacco together and the blenders are fighting it. So write to your state and Federal reps to distinguish the difference or we'll all be screwed.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All these taxes that the states are allegedly collecting are now costing us big time in Federal expenses. The ATF is now spending millions of dollars going after people who are trucking cigarettes from the low tax states into the high tax ones. The states are creating a prohibition type climate where organized crime realizes the amount of money that is to be made by avoiding the taxes these states are imposing. Our state and federal governments are so freaking stupid it is unbelievable. If we legalized pot, stopped with the stupid taxes on cigarettes, we could save billions of dollars, but no, now that we have privatized prisons, there is monetary incentive to jail as many people as possible. Our politicians( both sides) are really screwing us tax payers with their insane policies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
All these taxes that the states are allegedly collecting are now costing us big time in Federal expenses. The ATF is now spending millions of dollars going after people who are trucking cigarettes from the low tax states into the high tax ones. The states are creating a prohibition type climate where organized crime realizes the amount of money that is to be made by avoiding the taxes these states are imposing. Our state and federal governments are so freaking stupid it is unbelievable. If we legalized pot, stopped with the stupid taxes on cigarettes, we could save billions of dollars, but no, now that we have privatized prisons, there is monetary incentive to jail as many people as possible. Our politicians( both sides) are really screwing us tax payers with their insane policies.
Well said Harris, you've captured it all in one well written paragraph. But I think the politicians are well aware of what they're doing, so we're basically screwed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can stretch a 12 oz tin of OTC for a long time, but it would take a lot of the pleasure out of tobacco pipes

if the variety of tobacco was limited by pricing. Maybe we're in the golden age and some of us will get old

enough to look back on these good old days, as we pack our weekly bowl from our $100 12 oz tin of

Prince Albert.

Status
Not open for further replies.