PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Today's budget will almost double the federal excise tax on all manufactured tobacco, which I read as including pipe tobacco. The budget estimates this will raise another $307m per year for the fiscal coffers.

slimpiknz

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
But they intend to lower costs of imported goods like hockey equipment. Bastards! Why not tax junk food which is just as bad if not worse for your health!

Dec 24, 2012
According to the budget documents, what was driving this is RYO tobacco. It was felt that cig smokers were rolling their own rather than buying cigarettes which are already subject to a heftier tax. Unfortunately, I think pipe tobacco is just collateral damage in the RYO revenue grab.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
@sothron... Sure can Pa'! And I think its 84%, but that might just be the amount they increased. I know 50g of erinmore is 28$

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Yeah, I think my local B&M will die now. No way I'm gonna shell out 60$ for a 50g tin of tobacco. The previous price was already way beyond what I'd consider the pain threshold.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
50 gram tin where I am is about 36$ right now before the tax increase, welcome to soviet canuckistan. Great to know my taxes are going to keep peopleliving on welfare and reparations to the Indians and a health care system that sucks

Dec 24, 2012
This is only the federal excise tax. provinces also levy their own tobacco taxes. The FEDERAL taxes on 50g go from $2.89 to $5.31

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Without continual tax increases, how do you expect any Government to maintain funding for all of the vitally important agencies that every civilized nation desperately needs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlBUglE6Hc

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
What enrages me the most is that these tobacco excise tax increases were introduced, to balance off the tax breaks for baby clothing, baby food, adoption feeds and gold clubs (!!!). Are you f*kng kidding me? 8O

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@Chum202

let's migrate to Mars shall we

There's a non-profit taking applications for a one-way trip - unfortunately, you have to agree to be on a TV reality show... :?
Other than that...Canada to see a growth in Tobacco growing for personal use!

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Man this is brutal, 50g tins were already $35 here. I obviously no longer purchase tobacco here, not until its more expensive to order from the states. If that were to happen though, I would just stop smoking pipes.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
Man this is brutal, 50g tins were already $35 here. I obviously no longer purchase tobacco here, not until its more expensive to order from the states. If that were to happen though, I would just stop smoking pipes.
+1

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Maybe its all part of Canada's plan to bail out the American economy - driving business to U.S. tobacco retailers...
Hey, every Canadian dollar counts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.