PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Mother Tobacco it just doesn't stop with you.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-diesel-and-petrol-cars-and-vans-from-2040

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
More public acts of Doing The Right Thing which correspond to private profits, no doubt.
I can't say I am sorry to see diesel vehicles go from an emissions perspective, but this seems like the wrong way to go about it...

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Sounds smart to me. Fossil fuels are not the future. Setting a deadline is the only way to get brains working overtime on the replacements. Will it be electric? Solar? Fuel cells? or some yet to be discovered technology.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Can't use horses. They fart too much to meet the emissions regs. Except the German horses- they seem to burn real clean for some reason.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
https://www.masterresource.org/energy-myths-vs-reality/fossil-fuels-improve-the-planet/
Another perspective.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
We're going to run out of oil. That's why it's not the future. This study is from 2013. Be sure to note the line "...at current rates of extraction." Maybe 2040 is a good target for alternative fuel.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Energy-Voices/2014/0714/How-long-will-world-s-oil-reserves-last-53-years-says-BP
That link is pretty funny, perdu. Quite a circular argument!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Looks like they are dismissing the newly discovered oil under Australia which is estimated to have more oil than anywhere else on the planet.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/11971280/The-Earth-is-not-running-out-of-oil-and-gas-BP-says.html
This one is up to date.
Follow the Aristocracy of Pull.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Great Britian is committing Murder, with its new directives. Sad. I'm in the allowing things to succeed on their own merits camp.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Whether you believe in global warming or not, no one can deny that pollution is very real. Should we really burn up all the oil on the planet?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
When I was 15 everybody was talking about how we are going to run out of oil in 15 years (I live in an oil country). I am 30 now.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Should we really burn up all the oil on the planet?"
Of course not. Should we have 7 billion rapacious vermin overrunning the planet? Of course not, and yet here we are.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Maybe it's not such a bad thing. About 30% of the population lacks the mental capacity to operate an automobile. More of us will get off of our fat asses and exercise. More of us will spend more time with our families, which should greatly help with population control. Herd to see the downside with any of this.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
30%? 30%???? I want to live in this wonderland where 70% of people can actually drive well!
Well, to be fair, the percentage of incompetents is a bit higher, but still in the 30's. The computation isn't necessarily a measurement of intelligence per sé, but of the ability and speed demonstrated in connecting and implementing logical responses to a variety of external stimuli. It's not unlike being able to sightread a piece of music.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I agree Cosmic, that freedom of go anywhere any time at the expense of your own dime, is rascally.
I'm thinking Heinlein: The Roads Must Roll.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Should we have 7 billion rapacious vermin overrunning the planet? Of course not, and yet here we are.
Sounds like a collective insanity. Sort of like an algal bloom.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not until "oil crises" is more than a dire prediction will the solution be chased with any enthusiasm. We've got years of oil under Alaska, off shore, Russia etc. It's not really a problem that exists at this time.

None of us will be alive when the solution is achieved. No of us will likely be alive when a shortage truly exists. Meanwhile. some serious "men in sheds", oil companies and scientists will dabble with possible solutions. The press will hop on the "solution of the day" and nothing will really change. Well, more will join the panicked few of today causing all sorts of knee jerk reactions and solutions, all of which will be costly, mostly ineffective and impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.