Montreal... Any Advice on Pipes and Food?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I am going to Montreal in early April for 3-4 days. I plan to visit Julius Vesz and buy a raindrop pipe if possible. Beyond that, are there any other pipe shops? Also, does anyone have any favorite places to eat there? Thanks.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
You won't find Vesz in Montreal.
Blatter and Blatter is worth a look, they are right downtown.
If you go down the hill there's a place that does awesome smoked meat, Brisquet du Montreal, a little cafe. Get the red beer, I think it's Gryphon, it's very very good.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Unfortunately, Schwartz deli is gone, so the best smoked meat award is up in the air, but Dunn's is worth a trip (don't forget the pickle)
Find a proper montreal bagel place with a wood fired oven and pick up some of those, I believe there's a place downtown on St. Catherine.
Don't buy any tobacco, the prices will make you swoon :)

Mar 29, 2016
Blatter&Blatter for pipes and you might find some McClelland tobacco there 35-40 CAD for 50 grams, 60-75 CAD for 100 grams. Also Pat and Roberts on Ontario street, an amazing collection of old Petersons and even S Bang pipes. Tobacco wise you might get, if lucky, some vintage mixtures at the same Canadian prices.
For Montreal bagels try St.Viateur or Fairmount street. For a meat lover restaurant, try Rodisio not to far from the Courthouse on Notre-Dame street, all you can eat meat, Brazilian style for 30 CAD.
Also, if you want, we could have a smoke at Stogies on Crescent street. E mail me if interested.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
+1 for Blatter & Blatter. Look at their "Select" line of pipes, made in house by Robert Blatter. The design is very robust, the vulcanite or ebonite they use on that line is of great quality, does not oxidize and they are amazing smokers! They have a very nice selection of cigars as well!

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Unfortunately, Schwartz deli is gone, so the best smoked meat award is up in the air
What??? When did this happen?

Nobody stepped up to buy it?

Say it ain't so!

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Thanks! Blatter and Blatter! Cool... I have seen some great pipes from them... Oh... Vesz is in Toronto... Darn! Boy will I feel stupid when he opens that email I sent him...
Thanks for the invite as well. I'll let you know. It's sort of a romantic getaway as she just agreed to marry me as of a few days ago. So, we are taking a train up and back.

spider61

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Geoff,
For breakfast I liked Olive & Gourmando. Very central location and great food.
If you like authentic french food, try l'Express for dinner. It is located in French quarters, and you absolutely need a reservation there. Few years back we managed to get a reservation for 9:30 pm on Wednesday. We left just before midnight and folks were standing in a hall waiting for their table. Not cheap, but well worth it.
Enjoy 8)

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
Absolutely do Blatter and Blatter at 375 Avenue Kennedy for their excellent pipes. Both the handmade Select line and the machine made regular pipes are great value for money and superlative smaokers. Their tobacco range is good and some of their bulk house blends are superb if expensive due to punitive Canadian taxes. Blatter Reserve is a favourite English blend of mine.
My favourite meal out in Montreal with the wife is to do the taster's menu at Maison Publique. They just keep bringing little samplers out of everything on the menu. It's fun, the food is excellent (Jamie Oliver is an investor) the decor is shabby chic bistro and comfortable and the beers are local and tasty.
Have a great trip.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are an art museum rat, like I am, their major museum is centrally located, walking distance to many hotels, and excellent, reminds me of the Chicago Art Institute in its presentation of the work. If I went back, I'd hope to get a Blatter & Blatter pipe as a souvenir; I've heard everything good about them. I try to be careful with purchases on trips. Travel is pricey enough. But that would be a good purchase. If you enjoy boat rides, the St. Laurence River tour is worth an hour or two, partly to appreciate the adept piloting of the skipper who navigates the rocky protrusions in the channel with aplomb. River currents are the very devil for boats, especially big boats, and those guys are artists. You also get to see the old Montreal World's Fair ground, a sort of ruin, but quite a sight, notably the big geodesic dome.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Unfortunately, Schwartz deli is gone, so the best smoked meat award is up in the air
What??? When did this happen?

Nobody stepped up to buy it?

Say it ain't so!
Seems someone did step up when in 2012 the "extended family ownership" ended. The new owners are connected to the Baton Rouge restaurant chain. They reportedly bought the deli for $10 million.
Sorry for any anxiety I may have caused :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lasttango, congratulations on your engagement. I am a proponent of marriage, having been married for 23 years, then a widower for ten, then remarried for 7 1/2 years. Being married is like gaining binocular vision. Your better half can see social situations and emotional weather that you can't; it's a whole new day.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Congrats on the pending nuptuals and have a great trip! All I've seen of Montreal is the airport, and I highly recommend you don't go there :D

P

pipebuddy

The Express restaurant, in Montréal, located in the "French quarters"? 8O It's located in the "quartier latin". :wink:
@lasttango: I'm sending you a PM.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Just in case you'd decide to bring some baccy with you, 200g is your limit for personal consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.