PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I wonder if PAD is a monthly ailment? First the Rosslaire 107 (try to find a new Peterson 107 of any style anywhere right now--Peterson told me it was because of lack of materials) and next a genuine Prince, this one from Savinelli's Rossi imprint. I was attracted to it because of the larger proportions, although a bit worried about the longer stem, but when I got this Messina and tried clentching it, I saw that the longer stem was appropriate and needed, given the larger chamber. The bowl on the two other princes I have were always a bit smallish (the Peterson churchwarden and the Kapp-Royal, both identical in terms of size and proportions) but the Messina corrects that problem. The prince is an interesting shape: flat on the bottom, making it a sitter, broad in the middle--no wonder people have a hard time describing it. You really have to have one in hand to appreciate it. As for smoking abilities, that waits until my customary inaugural breaking in at midnight.

img_1107-600x392.jpg

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I commend your self control. I would have had at least smoked one of them by now.
And yes, on average it takes 30 days to recover from and find your next must have pipe.
Unless you take meds.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I can't take undeserved praise: the pipe lasted about 2 hours before my restraint broke down.

Smokes great! I've noticed in all the princes I own, the draw is much easier than the usual billiard, my favored style. I think it has something to do with the greater access to air given its wider chamber.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
We're all human. Take consolation in that. I have 3 princes. I like the slenderness and light weight the best but desire a bigger bowl at times.... ENJOY!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Johnny, I have the same problem with princes, i.e., bowls are small, and the bigger bowl is the reason I selected this particular pipe. SP described it as larger in proportion. They have a very similar pipe by Rossi available, the Otranto. (Named, I assume, after the gothic novel of fame.) The only visible difference is the lack of a brass ring ferrule.

So far, the pipe smokes very nicely, just has to be broken in.

Status
Not open for further replies.