PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I usually never make fun of another pipe because someone's junk is anothers treasure. But this one makes no sense to me. I can see it as a joke, at $20 but at $170 - who buys these things??
http://www.cupojoes.com/monstrosity-last-fuckin-place-pipe-1-of-1/
monstrosity_pipe_a_1__26426.1494345756.1280.1280.JPG

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
And to think of all the time and money I wasted on old Brit wood and modern artisan pipes
If you scroll down on the link Al you see other triumphs of the carver's art

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Nothing as extreme as that one but I have two of his pipes and they are both excellent smokers. As for who would buy them, people who like to go against the norm. Individuals who walk to the beat of a different drummer and are proud of that fact. People who enjoy getting a reaction like those listed above from traditionalists.

Good point @sjmiller ! The two weirdest tobacco smoking device I see on the internet, which is possibly popular with the younger crowd are Obelisk shaped device made of cheap gemstone and the glass devices which I find strikingly similar to ... something!
I would possibly buy one each of these devices just because they are so popular. This one ... however is Manas many times atrocious!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
"who buys these things??"

Weirdos like me I guess. I admit some of his stuff is over the top and over priced, but I find myself drawn to some of his pipes because I think they offer some humor to pipe smoking. Maybe because they're kind of at the opposite spectrum from pretty handmade pipes. I think there's a few smokers out there that think they're fun pipes, completely different to what most people think of as a tobacco pipe. These are just my opinions, although some might do better in a head shop. :mrgreen:
Here's my little "Bloody Knuckles" Meerschaum.

img_0844-600x382.jpg

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I have one of Olie's pipes that he recently gifted to me in appreciation for some work that I did for him...
w6PVIJ8.jpg

YNpkoKK.jpg

So far, the pipe remains unsmoked because it's very much a "sit down and be still" pipe and I don't have a ton of "sit down and be still" time right now, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
I look at Olie's work more as functional display art than a traditional pipe. Sure, they're not for everyone, but I don't think they're supposed to be.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I always like seeing Olie's work at Chicago....He definitely marches to his own drummer on pipe design...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I look at Olie's work more as functional display art than a traditional pipe.
Agreed. I am unable though to conjure up any appreciation for the monstrosity in the OP, but that Djinn Trap Pipe is off the charts cool imo! Please let us know how it smokes when you get around to trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.