PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Peterson Irish Oak vs Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake
Another tough one for me as I really enjoy both blends. Similar in composition but dramatically different in presentation.
Content-wise, both are VaPer/Cavendish blends. (While I have read elsewhere that Irish Oak contains burley, it's not claimed on the tin description.) Both contain lovely, bread-and-hay Virginias with naturally sweet, unflavored Cavendish. The Perique is on the lightish side in both, but I would say ultralight in Irish Oak. I don't taste the burley in Irish Oak - it may be there but it's well-blended and too subtle for my palate to detect. 
Presentation-wise they are obviously radically different, LBF being a spun coin (or flake medallion) and the Oak being a fine cut ribbon, typical of the cut of other Peterson's ribbons. 
I really like Irish Oak - it's a great, light, flavorful change of pace for this VaPer smoker. But for me, LBF is an all-time great tobacco. I would even buy it in tins if it weren't a bulk. 
So for me, it's LBF for the win. But Irish Oak out up an honorable fight. 
What say you?

Dec 24, 2012
I haven't tried Irish Oak, but love LBF. I tend to steer away from virginia blends that are in ribbon form. My fear is that they would tend to smoke too hot. Any truth to that?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm torn... :crying:

I have to choose... :crying:
For me this one has to boil down to cost.

LBF gets my vote.

Irish Oak is one of my all-time-favorites....

But, so is Luxury Bulls Eye Flake.
:puffy:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hombre- I have not found Irish Oak to smoke hot. In fact I think it smokes like a dream - very smooth, delicious tobacco. This one was really a tough call for me. It can't KO LBF, but I couldn't recommend it more highly for a change of pace for the LBF smoker.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Irish Oak is a morning smoke for me. With a bit of coffee and a walk, it really gets me invigorated for the day.
LBF is an all day everyday smoke for me. It's reliable and easy going. Some tobaccos get fussy or demand a little more attention (sometimes GL Pease blends are like that for me), but LBF is like a worn pair of jeans.
On a desert island? LBF

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Maybe it's me, but I found LBF to be boring and not very flavorful. Irish Oak, on the other hand, was very pleasant and not too sweet. I do not smoke Irish Oak regularly, but enjoy it from time to time, and always have a tin on hand. I traded all my LBF off.
Irish Oak for me.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I'm a nic lightweight and there's something (burley?) in the Irish Oak that hits me sideways if I'm not careful, though I do enjoy the flavour. For me it's LBF all the way, especially on a desert island.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Rocky, Irish Oak gives me a bit of a buzz too.
Honestly I do think there's burley in it because while it isn't as bad as some blends, my mouth reacts to it and aches a bit. Specifically the roof of my mouth and back of my throat. There's so many blends I'd like to try but when I get to the ingredients I see "burley" and it's a no go for me.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Your making me wish I had TAD money to spend to try Irish oak.... Some here know I love LBF, hell, it's even in my avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.