PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Tonight begins the first edition of Monday Night Fights: the tobacco face-offs. All in good fun, of course, because both are excellent and everyone's taste is unique.
That disclaimer aside, last night I enjoyed a delightful bowl of Erinmore Flake. Tonight I'm enjoying some OGS. It's been several weeks since I smoked either.
This is a tough one, gents. How do you vote: OGS or Erinmore Flame?
I enjoy the Erinmore topping, but have to come down on the side of OGS's smooth, sweet Virginia smokability. It was very close. Both get kudos for their absolute lack of tongue bite.
What say you?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I agree that it's a tough call. I like both and have never really experienced the Juicy-Fruit nuances of EF. Tghat being said I might give OGS a slight edge in my pipes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Having never tried Erinmore, I'd have to go with the Orlik.

Just the opposite for me. :D
You see we Mods are always on the same page. :rofl:
Come to think of it... I used to buy "Golden Slices" at the local years ago.

Hmmmm....

Have to think about this before I vote....
:puffy:

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
+1 for Erinmore.
Got them both, like them both but have agree to with rothnh, OGS is an excellent VA but Erinmore Flake is unique in its own right. Now, Erinmore Flake up against Peterson's UF, I'd really have to think hard on that one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
OGS for me -- and I'm currently smoking from both jars. For me, Erinmore Flake's flavoring is just on the threshold of being cloying.

I can tolerate it, but it's gonna take a while to burn thru this tin.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Tonight begins the first edition of Monday Night Fights: the tobacco face-offs. All in good fun, of course, because both are excellent and everyone's taste is unique.
I love it! What a great idea.
Unfortunately I can't sit at the judges' table for this one, having never had OGS. I'll have to root for Erinmore, though.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think this is going to be a lot of fun.

I hope everyone that votes, either in this thread or the one's to come add a little bit of "reviewizing".

It'll be a great way for those of us whom haven't tried some blends to make some informed choices.

I love it! What a great idea.

I agree!

:clap:

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I have only tried OGS once thanks to your sample. Unfortunately I think my pallet was too new to this to know any better. I will definitely try some when I get a chance though! My tobacconist has a flake called navy belt flake or something, it's a VaPer so it's probably very similar if not repackaged.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
It's Tuesday morning but I'll chime in anyway.
I'd go with EF. Especially if I can count the 2 tins of Murrays production I found a couple years ago. Plus, I like the tin art better.

OGS is well, not bland, but not enough unique flavor to stand out in the crowd.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Redbeard, based on your tobacconists relabeling of Luxury Bullseye Flake you shared with us in your previous thread, I'm willing to bet that 'Navy Belt Flake' is PS's Luxury Navy Flake, another great tobacco. Just a guess. But definitely worth a try.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Well, I haven't had EF, but I love Orlik! Besides... prudent judges wouldn't smoke it if it wasn't a winner.
Orlik! Orlik! Orlik!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
OGS by a knock-out from this pipe smoker. I tried EFF (thanks to a member here!) a few months ago, but couldn't get used to the fruity topping. OGS is typically my summer smoke when it gets too stinking hot for a heavy lat. But, I enjoyed a bowl on Sunday for a palate cleanser.

Status
Not open for further replies.