PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Battle of the Petes: Peterson Irish Flake vs Peterson University Flake.
On this one, I come down solidly and decisively in favor of UF. I enjoy the smoother smoke and pleasant, subtly done topping offered by UF. Despite a very high nicotine tolerance, I found IF comparatively harsh and one-dimensional in flavor. But clearly both are popular tobaccos. No doubt there are devout lovers of the renowned Irish Flake; some would say it makes University Flake -um- 'sophomoric' by comparison.
So what say you, oh PipesMagazine brain trust- UF or IF for the win?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
UF! It has a tartness I like. If I get in the mood for something extra strong I fire up a bowl of IF.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I love Irish Flake. Have some UF in line to try. If it's as good as IF I will be happy.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Man UF is fine, I heard so many things about the very HIGH content on vitamin N in IF that I m scared of it!

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
IF for me. UF is great as well but doesn't have that "oomph" that IF does.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Damn! Good battle tonight. Got them both, like them both but I too am coming down on the side of UF. IF is an excellent no nonsense smoke that delivers the same solid flavors from start to finish. UF, on the other hand, can get you lost in a smoky haze until the pipe is done and your glass is empty. I had my first zen smoke with a straight dublin and a rubbed out flake of University Flake. My glass jar of UF always empties before the same size jar of IF.
UF for the win!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Once upon a time, I popped open a tin of IF and a tin of UF, both of which I have had in my cabinet for at least 2 years. The Irish Flake had a stronger, smokier taste, heavier than a straight Virginia or the burley blends I am used to. Not the sort of thing I would smoke regularly. University Flake, on the other hand, was slightly sweet, the smoke not as heavy, and more akin to my tastes. UF is by no means what I would call aromatic. Think of the difference between a typical coffee and a French Roast.

But watch out! The smoothness of the UF lulls one into a false sense of security. I have been on serious benders before, but nothing knocked me down harder than the nicotine punch of a hefty bowl of UF. The heavy harshness of IF announces the promise of Lady N out front.

I opened the IF, btw, because of all the good things being written about the MacBaren Old Dark Fired, which some had said was similar to IF. I wanted to see if that sort of thing was for me. Well, suffice to say that I won't be contributing to any shortage of the MacBaren or the Irish Flake. My UF will probably last forever too, as I will only smoke it now in very, very small chambered pipes. :puffy:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'm siding with the UF for this one too. For me it's the ultimate small-chambered Dublin smoke, for obvious reasons. Strangely, I always hear "Danny Boy" done techno / dubstep style in my head while smoking it...perhaps it's the nicotine. :crazy:

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
Like Michael Collins, the UF is a hard hitter that won’t quit, I will side with the University Flake. It is loaded with flavor and not as one dimensional as the IF in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.