Monday Night Fights 3/25: England vs....Egypt?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
GL Pease's Cairo vs Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe
Two Virginia/Oriental blends, one (Cairo) with a self-proclaimed "whisper" of Perique, the other (EMP) with a (rumored) hint of Latakia.  
Both outstanding smokes in their own right, comparable in some ways, yet very different in others. Both presented as ribbon cut but with vastly different tin notes, Cairo being darker with the distinct fig and raisin aroma while EMP is more of a sweet/sour Virginia note that I found slightly, and more lightly, akin to a McClelland tin aroma.  
EMP is a great blend and I would never turn it down. But I've found Cairo to have the more complex and interesting taste, with flavors changing more distinctly as the bowl progresses and the Perique adding that something extra that really makes the blend. I find that Cairo starts out sweet and Virginia-forward with the orientals taking over at mid-bowl. The final third of the bowl is classic VA/Per with harmony among the component tobaccos and a hint of that Haddo's-esque topping. Delicious! 
I enjoy both blends, and each was among my first tinned tobaccos. But while I no longer stock EMP regularly, I don't think I'll ever be without plenty of Cairo. A more robust flavor, more complexity to the bowl, stronger in the vitamin, that dried fig and raisin tin note... My vote goes to Cairo.  But it was a good fight.
What say you? 

Status
Not open for further replies.