Moments where you're glad to be a pipe smoker.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs." - Albert Einstein

I think most of us know Einstein's quote by heart. Pipe smoking does certainly provide many contemplative moments, where you can still the mind and just be, or let the thoughts flow, slow and ethereal like smoke. It can also simply be a background activity, serving as blinkers of-sorts, giving you amazing focus in completing whatever is the task at hand.

I've been up since 5:00 reading, I'm already at my 4th coffee, I'm studying with other people (which isn't always easy) and it's 28 days until the Bar Exam, so stress is running high. I just had my second bowl of the day and am thankful that, so far today, I haven't though about strangling any of my friends, nor throwing the books off the balcony next to me and myself right after. I'm feeling very zen today, and while I can't completely attribute my calmness to pipe tobacco, the MM965 tin I just opened has definitely contributed to it. Right now I'm very glad I'm a pipe smoker.
IMAG4015_1_zpscxzv2xna.jpg

What moments have made you say "thank heavens for my pipes and tobacco"?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The calming effect of smoking a pipe is half the reason I smoke ... great tasting tobacco is the other.
Best of luck on your upcoming exams. The pipe saw me through my MCAT's and many other exams ... glad it's helping you! :puffy:

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I used to be really impatient, and can easily get anxious or angry. Pipe smoking made me more composed and can think more clearly.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I am always glad to be a pipe-smoker.
When I am walking to the grocery store.

When I am popping down to the cafe on lunch break.

When I am sitting on my porch after a day's work.
When you walk down the street of your neighborhood with a pipe in your mouth, no-one thinks "That guy is may be up to something". You are simply out for a relaxing walk, and you LOOK like you are simply out for a relaxing walk. You get greetings from people who otherwise would have eyed you with more suspicion.
People are friendlier to me when I have a pipe in my mouth than when I don't.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I drove 45 minutes this morning, without a pipe I can sometimes find driving frustrating, stuck in traffic etc. With my pipe in my mouth I am not stuck in traffic, I am just smoking my pipe. The pipe helps me a lot with mindfulness and enjoying the present.

Isaac

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Smoking, sadly, does nothing for my frustrations during the morning commute. Those people who seem to think that their's is the only car on the road, "drive" me insane. It's something I'm working on. :puffy:
At work, it's another story. If I didn't have my pipe, I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably be one of those uppity non-smoking types, that gets all red in the face from screaming and hollerin', about something possibly (probably) quite trivial.
I'm also thankful to be a piper during the Autumn months. I thoroughly enjoy watching the leaves change colors, and fall from their branches, below an often overcast sky. Smoking a pipe in this setting makes me feel like I'm on the edges of something ethereal.
...Whenever someone sparks up a Camel Light. I'm thankful then, that I don't have to keep smelling that shite.
When I have to talk to people on the phone. When I'm drinking coffee. When I'm drinking whiskey. I could probably think of a couple more times when I'm specifically thankful to be a piper, but I'd have to try, and... Meh.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'm glad to be a pipe smoker everyday when I get home from work.
Put some Charlie Feathers or Chet Atkins on the ol Philco record player, open the cellar door and grab a jar that calls my name, eyeball the pipe rack for the perfect companion to the blend, kick back and let the hustle & bustle fade away. Doc, you can keep your Xanax, I have my leaf and briar.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
At the end of a long busy day when I get to sit out back by the pond and have a nice chat and smoke with my darling wife. Aah...good times. :puffy:
There's other times too but those mentioned above are the best. :)

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I can relate. This hobby helped me focus and get through several semesters of grad school. It helps when you want to stay grounded when things get overwhelming.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Every day when dealing with the incompetence of our society...
That's my answer too. Well-worded, I think. "Incompetence" is about the best word to describe the across-the-board ineptitude and disorganization.
EdwinBaz, I enjoy your handwriting on that legal pad. It would make a great font.

Status
Not open for further replies.