PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
She is totally against me smoking anything so I was surprised she bought them. She got them at a garage sale for a buck. I love the one with the band but don't want to spend a lot of money if it is crap.

The one with the band says Jeantet Spigot. I've never heard of the brand.

0802022155.jpg

The other one says Irish Seconds (Maybe related to Peterson?) and on the other side Made in the Republic of Ireland. Unfortunately it has a bunch of fills.

0802022154.jpg

I'm guessing the only way to get stems for these is to pay 30 bucks.

Any other options?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I'm thinking that too. It has some huge fills and I'm surprised it even went through as a second lol.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Check the pipephil site. Jeantet have been around for a long time. Think they are French made.

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/about-en.html

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Thank you. Do you have any experience smoking them? I don't want to spend money if it doesn't smoke well.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've never smoked a Jeantet. But have had a couple that I shined up and sold on Ebay. Seem to be a decently made pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There are a few pipes made like that. Carey's and Duncan Hill are two off the top of my head.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My storient meer is like that too. Maybe I can get a discount because their is no tenon to turn. :lol:

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Hello Photoman,
I could be wrong but here is what I recall about Jeantet pipes: Absolutely French made (obviously), their pipes particularity stood out for unique shanks and if I had to guess your particular piece is from the 1970's. I realize that leaves open an entire decade but my novice eye and grasp of pipe history is not as skilled as some of the other gentlemen on this site. Nevertheless, I hope this helps a little bit.
Regarding your investment in a stem etc.: so many variables to consider; But in my opinion it was a kind and thoughtful gift from Mom and this certainly seems to me to warrant the 30 clams. LOL. If you took a quick poll here I am confident there would be a lot of fellas (including me) who would probably be really happy to have their Mom purchase a pipe for them. I bet in the long run you'll love the pipe and the story behind it and that's priceless.
Take care and keep us posted! :puffpipe:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Thank you jharvard. I will for sure some day get a stem for it. Right now I am on a tight budget so it is a big decision. It does have pretty thick ways. I don't have any pipes in this shape. What exactly would a stem look like?

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
That's a good question. It must have an unusual stem and I didn't think of that. Might take some time and effort to figure that one out. I am willing to bet someone here could lend a hand and point you in the right direction though. I am at a lost. The stem may cost more than the bowl but if you research it and budget accordingly...I bet you'll have a very sharp pipe and a heck of a good story when everything is said and done.
And it did come from Mom!
Keep us posted it's a unusual piece in my opinion. :puffpipe:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
ha ha. I was blown away because she doesn't like smoking. She told me that she likes how pipes look. Always has. She said it is amazing how I restore them. Pretty dang cool.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Since the french made is called a spigot I would assume that it isn't a tenon that is attached to the bowl but a metal mortise for a metal clad tenon to push into. I like it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.