PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Seriously? I read in another post that Molto Dolce has an ingredient that is used in antifreeze.
I bought a tin about 3 months ago and have not yet opened it. Now I'm wondering if I should smoke it.
Then again, it is cold out. Maybe I should smoke it... perhaps it will keep me warm.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
I also have an un-opened tin....will smoke it eventually though, anti-freeze or not.....what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger right?

PG, and a whole host of other food additives are things found in various forms as an ingredient to antifreeze. I see this come up all the time in social moron sites. No, it is not antifreeze. It might be found as an ingredient in a different form within antifreeze, but so can water. Is water antifreeze?
PG is a harmless additive, and you may be eating it in all sorts of various foods.
Didn't you go on about how you wanted more preservatives in an earlier post? Ha ha, and... in this cold weather, I could use all of the extra antifreeze in my system as possible :puffy:

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
It would be food grade PG. It has a number of uses. Spray it on airport runways so the run off doesnt kill the animals, vapor juice,and tobacco preservative.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
1000s of happy smokers and that fly dude with the hot chick hanging off him in the ad here can't be wrong. Besides the worst it'll do is keep you thawed out in the -30 degree n. ny winter... lol

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This comes up from time to time. My earlier post.
Further... from "Common Misconceptions Redux", a post on February 4th, 2011 at 2:55 pm
You’ve been misinformed about propylene glycol (which, as I stated, I don’t use). The main component chemical in antifreeze is ethylene glycol (which is decidedly toxic), not propylene glycol, which is food-grade and FDA approved for consumption. Its purpose in food is maintain moisture is a variety of products so they don’t dry out on the shelf.

It’s unfortunate that their chemical names are so similar as this inaccurate rhetoric has been used for years to scare the crap out of pipe smokers.
Russ [Ouellette]
February 4th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm always amused by the folks who get bent about PG in their tobacco, and then rave about Biotene mouthwash... :D
As with so many things, it's the dose that makes the poison. There are antifreezes that have replaced ethylene glycol (which is toxic, and has led to pet deaths) with industrial-grade propylene glycol (as opposed to food-grade PG, which is a different formulation and considered "Generally Recognized As Safe" by the FDA), so it's just getting more confusing out there.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
cosmicfolklore, said "Didn't you go on about how you wanted more preservatives in an earlier post? Ha ha, and... in this cold weather, I could use all of the extra antifreeze in my system as possible"
YUP, that was me. But, I like to pick and choose my preservatives. Just like others who pick and choose which foods to eat, or which pairs of shoes to buy.
And, after reading the posts, I'm giving that preservative a "go."
Like crusher47 said, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?"

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Molto Dolce! I think I'd rather smoke Play-Doh as I believe it's the very same thing. :lol:

dsollars

Lurker
Mar 25, 2014
I have an unopened tin in my very cold garage, waiting on me to finish a couple of Christmas blends I have about finished up. Glad to know it won't freeze. As for me, bundling up and the new space heater are just making it barely tolerable. :)

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Take what you read with much thought.
Ignorant people will say, write, and post anything, any damn thing.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Many of you may not know this, but in the south the proper anti-freeze for human consumption is MOUNTAIN DEW and vodka. If for no other reason than it's the same color as anti-freeze. (at least the old fashioned kind). And in the summer it works as a coolant too! Combining it with Molto Dolce might be hazardous to your health though, especially if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic. Consult your physician before consuming mass quantities. :lol:

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
don't they say their is anti-freeze in the preservative in cigarettes? We are all going to die now a days everything is going to give you cancer and kill you.

May 31, 2012
Take what you read with much thought.
Ignorant people will say, write, and post anything, any damn thing.
I like any damn thing,

dammit.

:mrgreen:
zf38dF6.png

mqdefault.jpg

WTF-is-that.jpg

man+smoked+a+pipe+bomb+dr+heckle+funny+wtf+headlines.jpg

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
Propylene glycol is a food additive. A lot of folks get this confused with ethylene glycol which is used as an anti-freeze. You can find propylene glycol in many foods that must remain moist but which would tend to dry out.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Propylene glycol (PG) is generally recognized as safe as a food additive. PG, like ethylene glycol, an ingredient in common anti-freeze, lowers the freezing point of water making it useful as antifreeze in addition to other uses. PG is used in RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) and in airplane de-icing sprays. The fact that it melts ice should not be a concern. Many things do. Last night I sprinkled road de-icing crystals on my pork chops. That would be salt.
The LD 50 for PG (in rats) is 20,000 mg/kg. The LD 50 for ethanol (in rats) is 7,060 mg/kg, the LD 50 (in rats) for table sugar is 30,000 mg/kg and the LD 50 (in rats) for nicotine is 50 mg/kg. While toxicity in rats is not always directly translatable to humans, it generally follows that what is toxic to rats is toxic to other mammals and while the toxic doses might differ some, the trends are the same. LD 50 is a commonly used measure of acute toxicity. It is the dose that will kiil 50% of a population. Usually the test subjects are laboratory rats, though one sees results for other critters on occasion. Some object if human subjects are used for toxicity testing, though I can think of some good candidates.
So, PG is toxicity is between ethanol and common table sugar and far, far less toxic that nicotine. Nicotine is commonly found in tobacco smoke, along with hundreds of other chemical compounds, and many of those are more toxic than PG as well.
While we should pay attention to the things that we ingest, we also need to keep it in perspective. Yes, some, perhaps most, pipe tobacco contain PG. Some don't, some seem to have a lot. I prefer tobacco that is not a sticky mess (generally, less PG) but not because it is safer or less toxic. If I were worried about ingesting "toxic" chemicals, I'd not smoke and give up Scotch, and salt, and sugar and . . . And, the LD 50 for water is about 200,000 mg/kg, so maybe I can keep the Scotch and just ditch the ice cubes?
Additive versus naturally occurring does not matter as far as toxicity is concerned. The nicotine in tobacco is natural, but nicotine is considered highly toxic. Curare is natural, and very toxic. Botulinum toxin is one of the most toxic things known and is natural.
Relax. If you enjoy Molto Dolce, good for you. It likely has PG added, but PG toxicity is between that of ethanol and table sugar. The fact that it melts ice (and is relatively inexpensive) and useful in RV antifreeze and plane de-icing sprays is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.