PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Regarding Molto Dolce, does this stuff ever dry out?
I've had a loose pile laying out for about a week (!) and the stuff still feels like it's drenched. Should I go ahead and give it a go or wait and see if it'll ever settle down?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'd say go ahead and smoke it! Aromatics are VERY hard to get to optimal moisture levels, especially without altering the taste substantially. If you've had it out for a week, it probably ain't gonna get much better on it's own!

In an interview with Brian on the radio show, Paul Creasy talked about how Molte Dulce is specially sprayed with the flavorings. If I remember correctly it is the only one done in this drenching manner. It's ready to smoke in its sopping wet, right out of the tin, condition. I did get some to successfully dry out, but the flavor was all gone. Dry, it's just another nasty burly tasting tobacco.
I've not had any issues with lighting it or getting it to stay lit right out of the tin. Give it a whirl.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I don't understand why non English tobacco is made for my taste anyway. That being said Molto Dolce is actually good. It will not dry out though. I give it 12 hours pre loaded in a pipe then enjoy.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
The first bowl out of the tin I usually don't even dry it. Later on I'll preloa my pipe exactly like dervis and then I'm good to go :)

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If its too moist to smoke, just sprinkle it over some vanilla ice cream, its that GOOD!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I got several tins of the stuff, it never seems to be wet, I just smoke it upon opening the tin (I dry most blends, but not this one). Perhaps your used to smoking blends without aromatic toppings, as aromatics can feel "sticky" when they actually have very little water content to them. I think this is just due to added sugar or whatever is in the topping.

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
To answer your question, I think there is so much PG or flavor additives on this stuff that it will still be wet for the second comming. I know I've let it dry out for days and it still crackled when smoked. I don't mess with tobacco that's more work than it's worth, so i tossed it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yep smoke it up, it doesn't dry out and you don't want it to. That syrupy goodness is where all of those desert flavors are.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds a little like a pudding dessert to me; I might be tempted to cheat and cut it with Carter Hall or

Burley Without Bite. Still, I have some "Dark Obession," from Altadis, that comes out of the jar a little

damp but smokes fine. Drying it out in the pipe sounds like it should work. I often do that anyway, even

with dryer blends.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I had the same problems. I spread it out in a thin layer on a sheet of paper. The paper would be soaked through by the next morning. I changed paper every day for like a week and it never got drier. It would snap crackle and pop on lighting unlike any other aro I've ever smoked. I ended up giving it away despite the awesome flavor/smell to it.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Lit it up in my hot rod flat black B-C Formula bent and it's perfectly puffing away.
w08QSr7m.jpg

I've got to say though, I certainly don't consider it the ultimate aro like many forums members here do. Don't get me wrong - it is superb, but I think there are better aros out there (see my love affair with Mid-Day).

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I smoke most goopy, but delicious, blends in cobs.
I hate gooping up wood pipes and the cobs handle wet tobacco like no other pipe can.
Get a cob, witness the NeverGurgles in action.
NeverGurgles: Doesn't ever F***ing gurgle. I've never heard of a cob having a moisture problem in which you would then have a gurgling cob. So I took these two words and smooshed them together to make a new one.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Spartan as wet as this tobacco is, it's smoking really dry.
It crackled and popped on the char light which I actually thought was pretty cool.
After that it's been silky smooth down to the bottom aside from a few relights (which never bother me - relights are just part of it).
Surprisingly, I haven't had even a hint of a gurgle.

Status
Not open for further replies.