PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
So anyways I have been hitting eBay and obviously taking risks on gourd calabash pipes 2 were very well taken care of and ready to smoke but the last one purchased was just a mess upon taking the bowl off the gourd it was observed the previous user self repaired by gluing the cork to the bowl....but that wasn't the worst part the gourd was just saturated in green fluffy mold! What a treat is there any realistic chance to save this gourd....

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Man, that's a bummer. I might try a high proof alcohol like Everclear on a cotton ball and wipe the gourd with it and let it dry. Bleach may remove mold but I'd be leery of that as well. Because of the gourd's porous interior I wonder if an ozone treatment would do the trick afterward.

Keep us posted.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always fill estate gourds with Everclear and let them set for several hours. I would do that, drain it, let it air dry, and let it sit for about a week to see if the mold comes back.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Hmm what could be a sub for ever clear in the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania we don't sell that.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
+1 chasingembers

and after drain Everclear light up with lighter and light off immediately(about 3 seconds).

Now air dry 2 to 3 day with some sun light and let it sit a week.

You can use alcohol(71 over) also.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah I know I already addressed my displeasure with the seller and contacted eBay in regards to the product. It would have been acceptable if in item description stated mold is on the gourd and the bowl was epoxy glued to the cork. Just amazes me though if someone would have purchased this knowing nothing about these pipes and lit it up and smoked it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would suggest replacing the cork rather than trying to clean it. Check out some musical instrument repair sites because various sizes of cork stripping are used on wind instruments. Contact cement is usually used for cork. Lanolin from a drugstore (ask the druggist) is used to condition cork after gluing.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
But if your going to sell something wouldn't you research it to aid yourself in selling the product?

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Try anything but bleach. Bleach will make the situation way worse.
Bleach is an excellent killer of all sorts of bacteria, but shouldn't be used on mold - especially when dealing with a porous surface. This goes against popular belief, but is in fact true. It's good for taking out the top layer of mold and removing the stain left by it but that's all. On porous surfaces where it cannot reach all the spores it ends up causing issues down the road. The remaining spores will become dormant for a period of time and then become active again with a greatly increased resistance toward household cleaners. It creates super mold! For that reason you shouldn't use bleach on wooden surfaces (especially after a flood) and you should immediately pitch moldy clothes (they are often too difficult to save).
Hope that helps.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lanolin can also be purchased in infant departments. Sold as nipple conditioner for breast feeding mothers.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks everyone but it's an approved return I'm just going to go that route because by the time I would be done fixing this I will have spent enough to wear I should have just bought new.

Status
Not open for further replies.