Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I had a catastrophic ceiling leak in a main store room with my pipes and tobacco this morning. The store room is my main tobacco cellar.

I am devastated. The tins of tobacco appear to be just wet on the outside. I’m just not sure about the many jars I have in that room.

But, my pipes must have been absorbing water for some time because most all of them have mold (not green, but white) on the rim and inside and outside of the bowl.

The outside of the bowl is also white with mold or mildew.

I have done the due diligence on this forum and found some outstanding advice about mold and mildew removal from precious pipes.

My question is, if using the hydrogen peroxide method, described in the excellent thread on this subject about 11 months ago, can the peroxide be “food grade.”

Some of the peroxides I saw on Amazon were for “first aid” and another brand said it was “food grade.”

If I use “food grade” peroxide to remove mold from bowl rim, inside the bowl, on the shank and stem, will that hurt my pipes?

What about first aid peroxide, which also said it had rubbing alcohol in it.

Any advice on this will be so very much appreciated. Some of these pipes are one of a kind and not replaceable.

I am kicking myself for not checking on them sooner.

I am also trying to upload a photo to go with this. Hope it works

pipe01-600x450.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Our member Jay had a similar case:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mouldy-pipe-anyone-pics
You may scroll down to see his solution.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks javan: I did see Jay's solution. I'm looking into Murphy's Oil now, as well as the peroxide method. Not sure which way to go just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.