Tags:  No tags yet. 

Mold or Plume?

(39 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by whiteburleydude
  • Latest reply from anthonyrosenthal74
  1. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

I'm normally pretty good being able to tell the difference between plume and mold. I recently opened a tin of Five O'cock Shadow dated 3/16 and I'm having a hard time. If it is plume, it's the most I have personally seen on pipe tobacco. At first sight I was sure it was mold, I was going to toss it. Then after holding it in the sunlight, I think I see crystals. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

No mold there.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To my eye plume. Mold has a "whipsy? look. But I skipped that week of school.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I used to have dealings with mushrooms mold was a big deal id say proablly what u have is plume does it smell foul?

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Definitely plume....

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that it is likely mold.

I've seen the so called "plume" of sugar crystals a number of times and I've never seen it looking like that. But... anything is possible.

If you take a macro shot with high resolution so people can really zoom in on it, then you might get a better answer.

I think it's entirely possible to have both sugar crystals and mold on tobacco at the same time. The white parts on that tobacco just look an awful lot like mold to me. Almost fuzzy looking and perhaps even raised up on the left portion of the top photo.

But, smoke it anyway. What's the worst that could happen?

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Il do a test smoke send me sample il smoke it and we will see if i die.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Bad mold usually has bad smell like soured milk or worse

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

That is the most interesting case I have ever seen. It looks like plume in the first picture and mold in the second.

Javan
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

I have heard, if you have plume and rub it, it will disappear. Mold does not disappear. I have had plenty of plume on my Esoterica. I recently had a batch of jack knife plug and it did not stay close to the tobacco, it indeed had a growth that was domed shaped. I rubbed it and it did not go away. So, I currently have mold in one of my 8oz jars of jack knife plug. Mold does happen, but not as often as plume within my experiences. Hope this helps!

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

What blend is it also?

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got a magnifying glass?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  14. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I think, after seeing a lot of pictures of "plume" on cigars -and pipe tobacco- that a lot of people actually have mold.

Not that there is anything inherently wrong with every type of mold. To be completely safe, you should know which type of mold it is, and then you might know if it is going to cause problems with your lungs, etc.

I'm guessing the risk is low in a pipe.

However, most "plume" I've seen is in the form of sugar crystals. I've found it most prominently on a box of Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and a Box of Hoggarth Bright CR Flake. Both with substantial age on them.

It looked nothing like the mold looking pictures I see pop up here from time to time.

I've also seen it on a number of cigars. A box of Bolivar Royal Coronas I had were coated in obvious sugar crystals. To me, it is extremely obvious. It looks just like sugar, glinting in the light.

This other stuff that some people say is also "plume" looks just like mold to me.

I'm not saying it's bad for you, because I have no idea about that. But I would put my money down that if we had it sent to a lab for analysis, that would come back as a type of mold.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Five oclock shadow never heard of who its made by might shed light on mold issues

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Are both photos of the same plug

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Just noticed the tinning date. C&D had a lot of mold issues with their red Virginias in 2016.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Could u get a side view of it...like to see if it sticks up? Like a height view?

Know what I mean?

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, smoke it anyway. What's the worst that could happen?

I'm guessing the risk is low in a pipe.

Inhaling / smoking mold is not a good idea. Seriously

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

dave- I was trying to add some optimism. I'd mix that plug in to the garden if it was mine.

I sure as hell wouldn't smoke it, but I don't want to presume to tell him what to do. Maybe he's got higher risk tolerance than I do.

At the grocery store some years ago, the checkout girl was coughing all over my food. So I ask, "You seem like you've caught quite a cold. Near to the end?" Something like that, to get an idea of how contagious she was.

She said, "Nope, it's a fungal infection I've had for months. The doctors can't get rid of it."

I walked out without buying the groceries and chose a different checkout person from then on. I don't want that shit in my lungs. Not even chancing it through the "not inhaling" that I do with my pipes.

Seriously, mix it into the garden or compost. I think it's mold and I wouldn't smoke it. But, my guess (it's only a guess) is that the risk to the health is low in this case.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Nope, it's a fungal infection I've had for months. The doctors can't get rid of it."

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so terrible. Yeah I'd toss it, mold is nasty.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

I did smoke some. No nasty taste from the tin or from the smoke. I've smoked some moldy Haunted Bookshop by accident before and it was musty and sour. It definitely shows some crystals. I also see a grayish/green tint in the sunlight. I think my final opinion is going to be that this tobacco has mold AND plume. I can't explain why it doesn't smell bad though. I'm going to try to post a couple pics that I tried to enhance. Wish I didn't have to, but I'm just going to toss this and move on. Thanks everyone for your help.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plume. Enjoy

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yeah still looks like plume to me. Did u see my post on the briar fox?

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

I would classify that as plume and smoke it. Is it actually some kind of fungus? Probably, based on growth patterns (seems to be along the cut edges and indentations), but not all fungus is necessarily bad (blue cheese for instance).

Years ago when I kept and smoked cigars, I had a few well aged Padrons that developed a very faint white mist and spots. Fellow at Milan Brothers told me that it was a fungus called "plume" and indicated that the cigar was aging well, just wipe them off with a paper towel if the plume gets out of control. When I did smoke them, they were excellent.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry but with C&Ds track record, It's mold/fungus. Contact them to make it Right.

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We need to devise a test for this. Test a sample, blue for mold or some such. If plume has a chemical that can be tested, that would work too.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Still going with plume.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm revising my guess to Plumongus

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have cigars with little spots that look like that on them. Delicious.

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is neither plume or mold. What you are actually seeing is a growing civilization upon your crumble cake. Microscopic people are building and creating. What you see is quite small, but to them they are towering buildings, skyscrapers! An entire world much like our own is being developed and even thriving on your tobacco. There is industrialization, agriculture, technologies... people going to and from work, tiny children going to and from school, playing sports, everything we do upon our own world is being done there. And you are their god. They see you looking down on them and turning their world over and over, observing. And when you reach down and break off a piece of their world, setting it aflame, they know that they have greatly angered you.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  34. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering that nobody can define “plume”, and most of what passes for it is actual fungal, I’d have to say that this chunk of tobacco is moldy.

Now, whether that is a good or bad thing, I don’t know.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I missed the part when "plume" changed from being a dusting of sugar crystals to being anything white in colour that isn't full out fuzzy like a teddy bear.

"Plume," to me anyway, was always the very obvious sugar crystals that glint like diamonds in the light. There was no middle ground. No in-between. You either had the sugar crystals or you had mold. Not that there's anything wrong with people smoking mold.

I've seen junkies pick up smack off a dirty sidewalk and get down to business. Who am I to judge?

Maybe I was too simplistic in my thinking and have tossed out some wonderfully aged tobacco. I didn't get into the whole aging thing though. In the times where it happened by accident, I found sugar crystals. And once or twice, mold.

Still looks a lot like mold to me. But, if "plume" actually is a mold -and not the sugar crystals I always thought it was- then yes, you have some nice plume. If it doesn't kill you or make you sick, enjoy!

But I'd mix that in to the garden if it were mine... If I ever see moldy your version of good aged tobacco with plume again, I'll set it aside and give it up free of charge.

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]I've seen junkies pick up smack off a dirty sidewalk and get down to business. Who am I to judge?[code]

I'm from Vegas I've seen it on toilets and hookers asses..... um...or so I've heard.

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

Vegas is covered in plume.

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Plume," to me anyway, was always the very obvious sugar crystals that glint like diamonds in the light.
    Except that it isn't sugar.

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't care what ya'll are saying. I'm sticking to my theory. It's much more fun and interesting.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   weezell, craig61a, milehighpiper, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri