Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I bought another cabinet to expand the cellar and while rearranging, found this...
This is 3.5 year old Samuel Gawith Bothy Flake. The tobacco could be a little older, but I date them from the time I receive them, unless the tin is already marked.
So is this mold or is this the magical sugar crystals? This picture was taken through the glass. I don’t plan on cracking the seal until at least the 5 year mark.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
If you need a tobacco tester I can sample them for you.

I have no credentials or equipment beyond a pipe and lighter, but would be happy to give you my opinion of how it tastes.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Here we go again. Mold or mould? Plume or bloom? They look amazing by the way, absolutely not mold. Oh wait, plume is also a mold, no no no, plume is the shape of the bloom which is a mold. :nana:

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I once threw away a lot of Rich Dark Flake because I mistakenly thought it was moldy. It still haunts me!
That looks like plume or some other side effect of the ageing process. If it's not raised off the surface of the tobacco then it won't be mold.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It’s a little hard to tell, but I think the answer to both questions is yes. Might want to reshoot outside of the jar. Dunno, looks ok.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Mold or Magic ? Something Groweth in the Cellar"
The title of this thread reminds me of a short story by the late Ray Bradbury titled "Boys! Raise Giant Mushrooms in Your Cellar!" from his book The Machineries of Joy. Be careful down there dave g, or you may not return!

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
It’s a little hard to tell, but I think the answer to both questions is yes. Might want to reshoot outside of the jar. Dunno, looks ok.
Not hard at all. These look like perfectly ok flakes quietly waiting to be smoked :)

Nothing to be worried about :)

I don't even ever worry about it. If it isn't green and/or fuzzy or smell terrible, then I smoke it. The few times I have had mold, it was blatantly obvious. Otherwise, I smoke it, and I have no health problems,... except for a bad back, ha ha.
On the other hand, I don't think plume necessarily makes a blend more sweet or tasty. I don't get excited. It's just a "thing." However, I usually like what age does to a blend. :puffy:

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Don't know what the stuff is but if it doesn't smell awful, have fuzz or slime, then I'd smoke it. Only had mold ruin one tin so far, Breckenridge, it was apparent upon opening.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I've got 8oz of Stonehaven that has been jarred for 5 years and looks very similar, which I plan on enjoying. Smoke it, I wouldn't hesitate.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd be tempted to crack it open and smoke it now.
Just opened a tin of Penzance, and have the same question: mold or bloom?!? It doesn't smell like mold, so that's a good thing. The top half of the flakes have it but the bottom half does not. It was the wettest Esoterica yet, coming in at 94% RH @ 65º. Slowly drying it now.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It looks fine to me, I've had St. James Flake that had the same bloom on it and it was delicious.
I've also had mouldy tobacco (bulk FVF & a tin of BSF) and that looked entirely different.
Regards,
Jay.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
@JC
I've got 8oz of Stonehaven that has been jarred for 5 years and looks very similar, which I plan on enjoying. Smoke it, I wouldn't hesitate.
I just opened a 6 year jar Stonehaven, and likewise, mine had a lot of "bloom" similar to the pictures. I'm always paranoid, but it tasted fine. It may be me, but the flavors while much more blended and smooth, seemed much lighter than when was fresher. (I'm coming off being sick, so my taster may still be broken.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the bloom I found on opening the 2 oz tin of Penzance. It's down from 93% RH to about 75%. No bad smell, so still hopeful.
Xw2CO2J.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.