PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2015
I opened a jar of capstan blue today to find mold growing on one of the flakes. I cannot find any recent posts about this so I am seeking advice. I threw out the flakes and washed the jar in the dishwasher. Should I reuse the jar? What could have caused this and what should I do to prevent it in the future. And before anyone's asks / no it was not bloom. It was nasty fuzzy smelly mold. i have only been smoking a pipe for around 9 months but have been buying a good bit of tobacco to cellar but certainly don't want a bunch of jars full of moldy tobacco so any insights would be appreciated.

May 4, 2015
There are mold spores floating around everywhere! Could have been something on your hands when you jarred it, a jar that was contaminated, or a batch that wasn't treated properly from the factory.
None of my tobacco has ever been moldy - ever (save one Small Batch malfunction :cry:), so I wouldn't worry too much about it being a trend.
I always thoroughly wash my hands before I jar anything, and try not to leave the jar opened for too long if I have to open it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The jar will be fine.
Did the tobacco feel very springy when you opened the jar? Could it have been too moist for jarring?
Agree with Tom re cause and conclusion of no alarm.

Dec 28, 2015
I jarred the capstan because I opened it when I was trying a bunch of different blends and had so many open I could not get around to smoking it all.
And the flake was not particularly spongy. But it was one of the first tins I ever jarred so I could have done something wrong with it myself. I didn't know much about caring for tobacco at the fime.

May 4, 2015
But it was one of the first tins I ever jarred so I could have done something wrong with it myself
The odds of it being a freak incident far outweigh the possibility that you did something "wrong".
Don't beat yourself up over it.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
How sure are you it was mold and not plume? I've never had a moldy Mac B product, never had one go that way.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
How are you storing your tobacco i. e temperature, any light banging away at it? How about dramatic temperature changes or humidity changes?

Knock on wood I have never had to deal with mold.
When I open a tin and don't plan on smoking it right away, I store the tin in it's original container. I use tupperware like plastic tubs that keep my tins fresh for 8 months to a year. I buy them at Walmart and they come in a package of 4 different sizes for about 6 bucks. Here is what they look like.
DSC09850_zps2e2256d3.jpg

The opaque containers with the white tops is what I mean.

Dec 28, 2015
It was in a mason jar inside an old Victrola cabinet in my home office. Away from light and at room temperature of my house. Of course I do live in Mississippi so there is a lot of humidity. But not in the house.
By the way your containers look like a very good idea.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
The only tobacco I've had mod was 3 Nuns and the most recent C&D Carolina Red Flake (let's have a moment of silence for CRF).
Sounds like something got in your jar, and it got a little warm and humid. I've never seen Capstan mold before.

Dec 28, 2015
The flake that molded was only on one corner of the flake like where your thumb would be when you pick up a flake. Could have been that I transferred something to it. I don't know. Maybe just a freak thing. Certainly freaked me out.

Dec 24, 2012
You should not have thrown out the tobacco. You could have combined the flakes with marshmellows and used it at your camp fire to make S'pores.
Sorry to poke fun. I thought it was the yeast I could do.

Jun 4, 2014
Mold sucks, I have not had a problem with pipe tobacco, but lost a box of high end cigars due to mold. I wanted to cry when I had to pitch them in the can.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I had the same problem with Brazilian Arapiraca rope tobaccos stored in 4 ounce mason jars. I carefully pared away the mold, sterilized the jars & lids with Everclear alcohol (though 90% isopropyl would also have worked), then rinsed with distilled water, & microwaved the jars for 30 seconds. Then the ropes were microwaved in the jars, sans lids, for 10 seconds & immediately resealed with the sterilized lids. The the resultant vacuum sealing has prevented recurrence of the mold (and likely prevented any aging).

After 4 months still no mold & the one rope that I smoked yesterday was fine.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Mold scares the shit out of me. I'm always having issues with mold on hardcover books. Luckily I just had the air conditioning replaced, they installed a pump to remove the water from the system. This has helped some. Dehumidifiers don't work, only for confined spaces. As far as tobacco and mold, haven't seen it yet. But I keep the tobacco in the middle of the house in a closet with no windows near the closet. And I try to keep a steady temp in the area. All you can do is try.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd have thrown out the affected flake(s), dried it down, reinspected, then smoked the son of a b. Before my GF caught me. She hates mold on anything, including cheese, which depends on mold to form in the first place.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates...

Status
Not open for further replies.