MOLD MOLD MOLD!!!

(45 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by gorillafly
  • Latest reply from brooklynpiper
  1. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

Hey guys!
    The Mold King here... Ugh... I don't know if you guys remember my first run in with mold, but I have some in an 8oz tin of "Triple Play" from "Smoking Pipes". I have been smoking "Jack Knife" until I just now opened my Mason jar that I have been smoking for a couple of months now and I found MORE MOLD. I have been smoking this for months. Do you guys know if my health is affected? Is my room/house infected? I am out of my mind, and to tell you the truth, "Smoking Pipes" needs a much better customer service. The woman who took my call was not caring at all... WoW! I am out of my mind. Here are the new pictures:

https://ibb.co/5Rnx6rX

And:

https://ibb.co/dcwGmZq

Out of my MIND!

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think, quite honestly, that Laudisi (Smokingpipes and now owning Cornell and Diehl) have maybe bit off a bit more than they can chew. They used to be friendly and apologetic about the mold thing. Recently I hear a lot more stories of a lack of care - like if you stored the tin for more than just a little while, or if you open it and return to find mold, there's nothing coming.

It's sad that they just can't/won't figure this out and meet industry standards of control. That Carolina Red fiasco a couple years back shoulda been the touchstone moment, but I guess not.

I've never stockpile CnD or Pease stuff because returning it across the border is a crazy huge hassle, it's impossible. But a stack of moldy tins never appealed to me so I just bought other stuff over the years. I've had one tin that I thought was a bit weird/off - a 3 nuns that just smelled ... bad. But I don't check my cellar every day for mold because I have no reason to think there is any.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

@sasquatch
    There was no empathy at all.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

That looks fine to me

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

And that’s why I only buy C&D to smoke right away. Same hassle with the boarder. Not worth paying tax twice if there’s mould.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may want a safer hobby like juggling chainsaws.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The only C&D issue I've had was moldy Bijou three years ago, but SPC made that right for me. I've never had anything but exemplary service from them. Was anything stored in those jars prior to the tobacco?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you put the photo's URL in the IMG tag, it shows in the thread.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is incredibly unfortunate.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Nasty. But I have seen more than acceptable amount of similar issues with C&D tobaccos. Definitely they do somwthing wrong. And I'm sorry to read this about their customer service, I have only positive experiences with the EU department.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

@brooklynpiper LoL!

@3rdguy Right?

@Captain Of The Black Frigate Heat sanitized in my dishwasher. My wife and I are clean freaks. I think that is why this is killing me.

@jpmcwjr Thank you. I will try it now so I can do it the next mold outbreak... Tonight...

@crashthegrey Right? I want to drown in the schuylkill river.

@daniel7 First they send me a moldy tin. Then a tin that I was smoking out of, in a mason jar, for about two months blooms mold so I have been smoking moldy tobacco for the last two months... The lady was not empathetic at all.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heh.

BTW, that's a good photo of a nasty subject!

@crashthegrey Right? I want to drown in the schuylkill river.

Now, there's a good source of dubious spores and other material....

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Right, even the company's that are so good about customer service, and instant returns, that'd great and all but you still lose the time you spent letting it age...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

This is wild. You either have terrible luck, or there's some unobserved factor causing your tobacco to grow cotton candy mold, Gorillafly.

Either way, I still say this is primarily an issue with cakes and plugs. Maybe not totally isolated to these cuts, but the vast majority of mold stories I've seen are in cakes and plugs. Anecdotally, I have probably a dozen pounds or more of C&D product, and I've never had a mold issue so far, but I only buy ribbons and flakes.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

@jpmcwjr Can you see the picture that I posted? I can't see it from my end (for some reason). I did what you said, but I didn't think it worked.

@didimauw Right... Right.

@Hap This particular time the mold grew in my jar, but the other two times, it came with the mold. I heat sanitized my jars in my dishwasher so the mold was already in the cake. Spores are the reproductive cycle. They form after all the food is eaten. I think you are right in that I must have really bad luck... I am the mold king.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

I don't think I could grow mold that lovely if I tried

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

OMG!!! Personally, if I thought I was smoking tobacco with mold, I would run to my doctor for a complete physical and chest xrays. This is one reason that I also only by ribbon or flake cuts. I also try not to leave it in the tin for more than a couple of months. Good luck.

"I yam what I yam."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  19. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome plume! Just kidding, that’s some epic mold. I sincerely hope there’s no health implication.

I can certainly understand them not wanting to replace tins that have been opened and didn’t go moldy until later. However, considering the more common than anybody involved wants incidences of mold in newly opened tins, a person needs to think twice about their cellaring strategy. This is true regardless of the blender involved.

I have a LOT of C&D cellared but no longer buy their blends except for near term consumption. One hitch is that to my palate their blends need about a year in the tin to mellow.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My 2 cents

You've had this open for several months and have been smoking it so the jar has been opened and closed many times plus with a plug you have been handling it to cut it into smokeable portions. My opinion is how is this the blender's fault? Mold is everywhere and just your fingers could have inadvertently exposed the tobacco. Again this is just my 2 cents so take it for what it is worth but I personally wouldn't be sure that C&D is at fault.

Also unless your dishwasher is an autoclave I don't think it heat sanitizes, especially concerning mold spores.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think I could grow mold that lovely if I tried

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is the first I’ve heard about bad CS from SP! I’ve always had stellar service, no questions asked. I have been a patron since 2009 so maybe they give me a little favorable leeway because they know I could have bought a second home with the money I’ve spent on pipes and tobaccos over the years.

What are the dates on your tins that have molded over?

My 2 cents

You've had this open for several months and have been smoking it so the jar has been opened and closed many times plus with a plug you have been handling it to cut it into smokeable portions. My opinion is how is this the blender's fault? Mold is everywhere and just your fingers could have inadvertently exposed the tobacco. Again this is just my 2 cents so take it for what it is worth but I personally wouldn't be sure that C&D is at fault.

Also unless your dishwasher is an autoclave I don't think it heat sanitizes, especially concerning mold spores.

This is a very good point. It may not be C&D’s problem after all. I’ve only had a mold problem with C&D once, made a phone call and in two days my replacement tobacco arrived in the mail.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just run the old blow torch over the plug and then send it to Jim Inks to review - I believe the blend is called 'Short Cut to Mushrooms'

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol. “The slightly earthy mold adds a stinky, slightly ill taste of fart and fromunda cheese. It sublimates the tobaccos slightly but pairs well with the figgy, bready, stewed fruity flavors from the Perique”. Mmmmm sounds delicious! All in good fun, Jim. All in good fun.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is the URL, but it wants me to sign in. No can do!

https://gorillafly.imgbb.com/

The top two are valid links, and here's the other photo from your first post:

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

sanitized in my dishwasher. My wife and I are clean freaks. I think that is why this is killing me.

External moisture, even miniscule amounts can attract bacteria. I only use jars freshly unwrapped and unwashed, they are disinfected before shipping, and once emptied I never use them again.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Imo a dishwasher does not sanitize jars, unless you’re running bleach in it. It’s very possible that the contamination CAME from the dishwasher.
    When I do home canning I wash the jars in hot soapy water and rinse em in a light bleach water, then they go into boiling water to sanitize em.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’d say this is a simple cross contamination. Whatever was in that Triple Play got into the Jackknife, probably by your hands. Cut your losses, get some Old Dark Fired and call it a day.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Make sure you're storing the tobacco at or somewhat below 72°F -- even for sealed tins.
    It's not a sure-fire solution to the problem, but it's a sound practice.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 month ago #
  30. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 onestrangeone, dishwashers do not sanitize. Everyone who jars foods knows that you have to boil them for at least half an hour and then put them in bleach and water. It has been shown, time and time again, and we even had a member here who tested it, dishwashers put more germs on dishes than the jars would have come straight from the factory. Dishwashers are great for knocking food off of plates and stuff, giving people a sense of false cleanliness, but it is far from truly sanitary.

I'm sorry about your mold thing. I have never tried to return one of C&Ds or GLPs moldy tins. I have thrown away dozens of jars and tins. I just chock it up to the gamble we all take when cellaring. If there wasn't any risk, the rewards wouldn't be as great. And, if you can't afford to lose, don't gamble.

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  31. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll add that the dishwasher was the likely culprit here. I only reuse jars if I am putting the same blend dried out into it. I have yet to have any issues. I always dry out tobacco before jarring as a rule also, not crispy dry but dry.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would agree with these quasi-scientific assertions if Triple Play and Jacknife weren't repeat offenders in the mold olympics.

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

I think people are missing what I am saying. Number one, my dishwasher has heat sanitation, and I use a bleach solution. The jars are fine, but the Jack Knife was only in there for about two months, if taking the tobacco out to smoke it can create mold then... God help us. This is only this case anyway. The first tin was mold right off the bat from opening it. I was discouraged from ordering again from SP, so I ordered another Jack Knife from Pipes and Cigars, and the same thing. I opened this one outside and it too had mold.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no idea why anyone messes around with C&D at this point.

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Other than the Bijou incident in 2016, I haven't had an issue with them. SPC even replaced all of my bad tins with Black Frigate. C&D remains my favorite tobacco brand.

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At this point I feel perfectly justified in eating all my meals out of a single ceramic dish that is never ever ever ever washed, but it spends an hour or so at 450f every day.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

I do see your point and I do worry about the Limited 100+ Tins in the cellar.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I definitely reuse my jars, Geesh, throwing them away after one use is cray cray! I never use a dishwasher though, those things disgust me and I don’t trust them. I wash all my dishes, including my tobacco jars by hand. I let the jars dry and I store them in a clean dresser drawer. Usually before it’s time to reuse the jar I stick it in the microwave for a good minute as I figure that will kill off most anything that would threaten my tobacco. So far so good, I’ve never had a mold outbreak from tobacco stored in a jar (knock on wood). I don’t like using bleach so I don’t even keep it on hand.

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My mother would always disinfect glass jars with a little swish of brandy before reusing them (after washing them of course). I always reuse jars, but get new lids for them.

I have some C&D tins in storage, you guys are making me a little worried about them now!

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

I hand wash, air dry, then oven sanitize when introducing new jars to my tobacco closet. Oven set at 240F, clean jars go in about an hour.

I only had one blend get moldy in 22 years; although, I don't smoke C&D blends.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

Guys/Gals
    The problem is not our sanitation techniques.

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FWIW: I do none of the above, and reuse jars with no washing. No mold, but I do dry down my tobaccos when jarring for immediate or near term use.

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys/Gals

Actually you haven't proved that. Do you wipe your hands with bleach or vinegar every time before you handle your block of tobacco? Mold spores are EVERYWHERE. Because you have handled the tobacco for several months you can't definitively blame the blender for this. At what point would you say that opened tobacco is no longer the blender's issue....3 months, 6 months, a year???? You open a tin and it's moldy then yes the blender should replace it but the blender can't be on the hook forever.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. gorillafly

gorillafly

Login to Send PM

@prairiedruid
    I'm not trying to prove anything. They sent me two tins that were covered in mold. What I am talking about now is the fact this tin was mold free, but within about two months mold appeared in spades. That's all. That's all I'm saying.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Guys/Gals

Just to hop in behind gorillafly here,

this thread is much more interesting when we were talking about C&D and if anyone else is opening tins let's pipe up.
    This thread got a lot less interesting when people started talking about sanitation techniques. Sure the last time he got mold it was in a jar, but OP had already demonstrated new tins having mold.
    I for one want to talk about damn red flake and if anyone has mold on that.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, anthonyrosenthal74, greeneyes, acidpox, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, condorlover1