PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Is there any readily available molasses/treacle flavoured pipe tobacco in existence?
I've heard Esoterica Stonehaven was flavoured with it. That piqued my interest.
An aromatic, perhaps?
It may be a constituent in any number of blend casings, for all I know. From what I've read, however, it doesn't appear to be too common. Maybe it tastes awful and simply doesn't work.
All my internet searches get hijacked by shisha sites, which are not what I want at all. Neither would I like to attempt the sticky mess of trying to flavour some myself. I'm just wondering if there is some kind of product out there waiting for me to try. There are maple syrup blends in abundance, it seems natural that someone should have attempted molasses tobacco sometime. (PS - I love to homebrew stouts with blackstrap!)
I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Hey sparroa--try some altadis blends from pipesandcigars.com; they've got the most extensive selection of aros palatable aromatics that I've seen. I have some caramel on order which may be close to what you're looking for; I'll get back to you on that. There's also a product called Tasty Puff® Tobacco Flavoring -- food grade FDA approved flavorings. Or, if you're willing to experiment, just get some blending cavendish or another mild tobacco like Sterling's Sweet Briar and case your own with some black strap--and report the results here.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks romeowood. If I get extremely curious I will resort to trying my own molasses casing; however, I think it would be very difficult to get right. I have never heard of Tasty Puff before either. Knowledge is power! As for Altadis their list of aros didn't seem promising for my little quest right now. I think that, if anything, molasses would be used as a background element. I've since read from an anonymous forum poster that it's supposedly used in Half & Half's casing. (Which doesn't sound like a big success) Where it is so bitter and pungent compared to caramel, for example, it may not play well front and centre in a blend. I was hoping for an obvious example with pronounced taste, like if it was already named in a well-known blend. Molasses is a traditional sweetener and it was once used with much more frequency than it is today. I thought it might share a home with liquorice and rum as another old-time pipe tobacco flavouring.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My local B&M has a Bulk Maple Cavendish that is to die for.

You open the jar and the whole room instantly smells like maple syrup.

Unfortunately I don't know who the blender is.
Edit: Damn I need more coffee....

How the heck did I get Maple out of Molasses? :oops:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Did you notice the treacle in it, Tommy? How did it translate to Stonehaven's smoke?

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Sparroa,....I've got what little I have squirreled away so deep in the closet it took me a minute or two to find it. I opened the jar and I could indeed smell the molasses...along with a slight maple syrup note, as I have no idea what treacle smells or tastes like.
It's been a while since I had a bowl but I do remember it being earthy, strong, rich, sweet and nutty with a molasses taste.

It reminded me of RedMan chewing tobacco, which come to think of it...has a lot of molasses in it.
I only wish I could find more of it to add to my jar.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
That sounds amazing. I'm surprised there are no similar blends made to capitalize on Stonehaven's absence from the market. I really wish I could come across some of that, I'd even pay eBay prices for a tin, presuming the seller would ship it to Canada!
Tommy, I simply use molasses/treacle interchangeably. Treacle is a different British product supposedly but they are close enough for my purposes. Lyle's Golden Syrup is pale treacle, but I'm sure Esoterica used black treacle by the sounds of your description and others. In homebrew recipes, as I mentioned, I simply substituted blackstrap molasses to great effect.
It'd be great to try, and even better to have a small store of Stonehaven, that's for sure.

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the right thing or not as I am new to this and can not for the life of me get my hands on any to try, but I have heard from a pipe smoking friend that Sutliff Private Stock makes a blend called mapel street. It sounds to be exactly what your looking for. I hope to find some myself soon :D

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
http://www.tastypuff.com/ see this web site Nat Shurmans has simler stuff has i recall as well

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Yes,Sutliff makes Maple Street which is maple and rum flavored and it's not too bad.Don't let the tin's musty aroma throw you off though.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might try e-mailing the Tarler's at Cornell & Diehl to see if they can whip up a custom flavoring.

They seem to be a very capable blender. This link will take you to a PipesMagazine.com tour of the facilities.
DSCN0819.JPG

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
An old boy who used to come into the restaurant I ran in Ohio did his own twist tobacco. Flavored it with molasses before he did it up in old time twists just like his Dad and granddad before him. Strong enough to pull a truck out of the mud but very tasty.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I didn't realize they did custom blends at C&D. Thanks for letting me know, Cortez. I'm sure if there is a fine molasses tobacco to be made, they could do it.
Uncle Arthur, I'd have liked to try that twist tobacco but I'm not sure I'd live to tell the tale! I figured there is probably an undocumented tradition of casing/topping/treating tobacco with molasses simply because it was the king of sweeteners in the United States and around the world for many years. Your story supports my theory quite a bit. I'm still sure it's used more frequently than we might imagine in other blends, perhaps just enough to add a hint of sweetness without imparting much taste. It's not exactly fashionable right now to feature molasses in anything, a lot of people just think that they don't like it from back when they were kids.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If all goes well this summer I will be experimenting with twists made in the old way. I have a bunch of seed on hand for several types of tobacco and room to plant. Now I just need to find someone to turn a bit of dirt over for me. Back can't handle spading it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.