Moisture Parfait: Dried Out Tobacco Trick?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
A bag of bulk shred (and I think cut will make a difference, hold onto that thought) got "lost" down between my trucks slit seat for a long while. Just discovered it a couple days ago.
Dang it. Was not sealed. Dried out. Can't think how long it had been there. Maybe not even half an ounce, but, geez, that's still a lot to throw away, right -- but do I really want to fuss with trying to restore it? I'm talking dry as last year's newspaper. Should just toss it.
Then I thought of something. I tend to smoke my "outbound" pipe (heading to work) a bit hard. I'm distracted, thinking about the day coming up, trying to make sure I get there quickly. It's not my relaxed smoke, not like lunch or the homeward bound smoke. Get what I'm saying? I get some moisture. First sizzle I hear, I have to play with a pipe cleaner, then remind myself, "Easy, Joe. Take it easy. Enjoy it. It's not a cigarette. Needs to be enjoyed, not leaned on."
For an experiment, I've been putting half a bowl of dried stuff in first. Then I fill up with something else fresh from a tin.
Wow. Hey. That worked out. As I progressed down the bowl, I think the dry tobacco was actually giving me a side benefit. Moisture regulator. Sucks it up.
Didn't control the heat (that morning smoke, oh boy, sometimes I get the bowl kind of warm and have to give it a good rest before resuming, afraid smoking that hot is taking a toll on bowl life?).
Reason I mentioned the cut is, I tried this with some dregs of sliced that I had left over in a tin I thought was empty. Crispy critters.
Um... not as good. Burned fine, I think, but I was too preoccupied to take much note of its burn or flavor, hacking on and trying to spit out little dried tobacco particles that sucked through the draft hole and came up in the stem. That stuff turned to grind, I guess. I think shred remains intact better.
If you have some old dried up tobacco left, give that a try. Let me know how it works for you. Same results?
My guess is, when I have leftovers that really aren't enough to bother reconstituting and would probably just toss, I can stick with my miserly ways and still get a good smoke from it, long as it's on the bottom of a "moisture parfait" like that.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I'm afraid some folks will get distracted by the thought I'm looking for an excuse, or remedy, for sucking hard at it. Just want to make sure it's clear that's not my point. It was a springboard moment, when I realized dry tobacco won't stay as dry if you fill with your fresher tobacco on top of it.
And for less misery people than I, this probably has no merit whatsoever. (I don't have a bit of Dutch blood in me, but I've grew up in their neighborhood, we could say.) ;)

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I often mix remnants from tins in with same or similar blend rather than discard. If the dry tobacco is only alone in bottom get grit in mouth. Shel

It's early :::yawn::: but great story. I like that you can actually string your words well this early in the day. Me? not so much at this time of day good words with to be. Ha ha.
But great idea. I have an old pouch of Carter Hall that I found from last summer. I had left it in the side compartment on my tractor. When I found it a few days ago when I was getting the gardens ready, I was thinking, "uh oh, this is going to be dry." But, it was as fresh as the day I bought it, ha ha. The joys of modern chemistry.
Enjoy your wet dry parfait. I'll keep it in mind when the need arises.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Although it's certainly possible to re-moisturize very dry tobacco, my feeling, and this is just my perspective, is that tobacco that can be enjoyably smoked doesn't recover from being more or less totally stripped of water and then brought back up to adequate moisture. But the proof is in the smoking. I've never had to do this as I'm a mason jar only pipe smoker and have never misplaced an ounce. Then too tobacco such as this is often powdery, from what I've read. It's difficult to smoke powder.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I need to take a photo first in daylight tomorrow, but look for my posting then on a neat trick I discovered for easily re-hydrating tobacco.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I posted this trick in the beginners forum last summer and does work to rehydrate a bowls full of dried out pipe weed. Load your pipe with the crunchy stuff and inhale deeply, gently and steadily exhale with your lips on the bowl rim back through the pipe a few times. It'll fluff up the tobacco and rejuvenate it enough to allow you to get back what was once lost. Of course the drier it is, the more you'll have to repeat but I've had some pretty dry stuff rehydrate after just 2 breaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.