PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Hi guys, been smoking pipes about 3 years (switched from cigarettes). I have circa 40 pipes. Of those, 6 are peterson system pipes. They smoke quite well in general and moisture accumulates in the reservoir as it is supposed to. However, when I smoke any of my other pipes, moisture accumulates in the shank such that I have to hold the pipe at a particular angle to stop the moisture going into the bowl and extinguishing the lit tobacco. It's very annoying and I find it hard to enjoy my pipes. I don't smoke overly fast and I have the same problem with all brands I own, Peterson, Parker, Savinelli, Chacom, Vuillard. All of my pipes are bent pipes as opposed to straight. I find that I smoke my system pipes most of the time. I am wondering if over time (perhaps many years) this problem will go away as the briar ages and changes and moisture is absorbed more easily. Or, will this continue to be a problem? I know some people are smoking the same set of pipes for so long that they don't remember how it was in the beginning. A colleague in work who has some of his pipes over 30 years, doesn't remember how he got on at the beginning but seems to be able to manage a dry smoke in all of his pipes. Any ideas or help appreciated.

Jan 8, 2013
You may be producing a lot of saliva while you smoke, the added moisture dripping down the shank into the bottom of the bowl. If you clench your pipe this may be more likely to happen. You may also need to dry your tobacco more before loading your bowl, or slow down your smoking cadence. Since you say it happens with most of your pipes, I would rule out faulty construction. One thing you can do, instead of having to hold your pipe at an odd angle, is when you get moisture, simply run a pipe cleaner from the stem to the bowl to soak it up.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I have found using lots of pipe cleaners to help with this problem. I often use 4 or 5 pipe cleaners per bowl, depending on what tobacco/pipe I'm using.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Thank you for the kind replies. None of myou pipes have a stem that lines up with the bowl so pipe clearners only go so far. I'm genuinely curions as to how a pipe may change over a decade or so. I think the brear must "cook" and dry over time. Thankfully it's so enjoyable I'll have to keep trying!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
That sounds more like a technique or too moist tobacco cause, rather than an issue with uncured (or at least not as dry as it could be) briar. Have you tried any Savinellis with the balsa filters? They soak up a bunch of moisture and don’t really alter the taste or draw of the smoke. Regardless, I’d dry out your tobacco more and try and determine if you have any saliva running into the stem, like Anthony suggested. When I lived in Seattle I had more moisture in my pipes than I do now in Colorado, but I’ve never had issues with wet smokes, regardless of the pipe. Unless I’m smoking Molto Dolce or some really really wet aromatic, that is. Then I just don’t smoke that tobacco.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
All of my pipes are bent pipes as opposed to straight

I've heard or read somewhere that bent pipes will collect more moisture in the bowl over straight pipes due to gravity. It makes sense, but I don't know if that's true. Maybe some of the more experienced pipers can respond to that idea.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I prefer straighter pipes because of this (either straight or 1/4 bent). I have one really bent Savinelli 614 that sits great on the lip and wafts wonderful aroma but I literally dump about a half teaspoon of liquid out when I'm done and have to run q-tips into the shank. Same tobacco and methods, just something about the turbulence in the pipe IMHO.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
My worthless 2 cents. As it is many different pipes, I agree it is not the pipe but the smoker.
I smoke many bent Pete's and he is right most will not allow a pipe cleaner through. I have some high end Pete's that do line up also. But mostly he is right. You have to learn to smoke dry with most Pete's no fudge room.
What type of tobacco are you smoking? If I know that I can, maybe, give some decent advice. I love Pete's even with their quirks lol!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Any ideas or help appreciated.
Bone dry tobacco, pack lighter, and smoke slower.
Running water is cheaper than Q-tips, plus you will have a sweet pipe the next time you load it.
While I'll never use water myself, you still need Q-tips, paper towels, or pipe cleaners to dry the bowl and airway.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bone dry tobacco, pack lighter, and smoke slower.
Absolutely.
Running water is cheaper than Q-tips, plus you will have a sweet pipe the next time you load it.
While I'll never use water myself, you still need Q-tips, paper towels, or pipe cleaners to dry the bowl and airway.
Perhaps counter-intuitively, even after a hot water flush, drying with paper towel and pipe cleaners isn't strictly necessary. My pipes are ready to smoke in a few hours, or overnight. Two things, though: The RH in my house is rarely over 60%, and I smoke dry tobacco, so there's seldom moisture in the chamber after a smoke. The water used in the flush doesn't get absorbed by the briar at all.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I only smoke out of 6mm filter pipes (Savinelli's) and only use balsa inserts for them (as opposed to Dr Grabow for instance)...it helps a ton but doesn't get rid of all of it. I replace the filters about every 3 bowls, when I do, the balsa is drenched...it works really well. Probably won't help you with your existing pipe collection, but if you buy any new ones, go for the Savinelli 6mm and buy yourself a box of Savinelli basla filters...you'll notice a big difference.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I salavate a lot when smoking, especially when clenching. I just flick the moisture away or use a few pipe cleaners.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
However, when I smoke any of my other pipes, moisture accumulates in the shank such that I have to hold the pipe at a particular angle to stop the moisture going into the bowl and extinguishing the lit tobacco. It's very annoying and I find it hard to enjoy my pipes. I don't smoke overly fast and I have the same problem with all brands I own, Peterson, Parker, Savinelli, Chacom, Vuillard.
Drying your tobacco significantly before loading will go a long way to solving this problem. You think you've dried it enough? Dry it more.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
have 3 peterson so far. none of them line up. all bent. but figured out how to run pipe cleaner through them. someone posted bending about 3/4" of the pipe cleaner and rotating it feeling for the draw hole. works fine most of the time. can take some time.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Thanks for the input guys. I have a couple of pipes that I seem to be able to smoke longer before moisture becomes an issue. I'm almost convinced that the briar cures more over time while smoking and is better able to hold moisture as I smoke. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I can't confirm it for a few years until my pipes have been well used.

Status
Not open for further replies.