PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
have smoked tinned tobacco, various good name brands and all have seemed to be too dry and after a few puffs, lost flavor like tared up dry dottle. all use paper liners. paper soaking up moisture and flavors? anyone else find this true?
have been smoking peter stokkebye bulk blends and all have excellent consistant lasting flavor and moist. they has been reliably consistant from pound to pound. i smoke their proper english, dansk black, golden dansk, luxury navy flake, black truffle, and black cherry cavendish. they are all my favorites, well, maybe the golden dansk being the go to smoke. when i want to try another flavor, just order a pound as i know i wont be dissappointed.
all this said, am a little gun shy at trying other brands, especially tins.

what ever works for you, right?

after all, that danish blood coursing through my veins makes me just a tad ..........

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think the paper in the tin "steals" the taste from the tobacco. Otherwise they would not put it into their tins if it was altering the flavour of their product would they?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have noticed a difference between the flat (shoe polish) style tins when compared to the taller cans with plastic lids. E.g.

G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight
The paper in the flat tins (IMHO) does seem to wick out some of the moisture. Most notably with my blending perique. When I first opened that tin it was WET as opposed to moist. Now it is nearly dry. The same seems to occur with others that are similarly packaged. But, by contrast my tin of Haddo's Delight is nearly empty and just as moist and "fresh" feeling as it was when first opened.
This subjective observation could have a different cause however. That being that the shoe polish style tin just doesn't re-seal as well as those with plastic lids. Thus the advantage of removing the tobacco to a "Mason Jar" as opposed to keeping it in the original tin. (I would like to do the latter. But, lack of space on my part is the determining factor.)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think you're spot on with blaming the non air tight seal on the tins once you crack them.
If the tin is air tight the paper isn't really going to do a whole lot.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
"Please don't tell me you guys are even smoking shoe polish now. :rofl: "
kiwi, smoke it once and no other shoe polish will do. in distinquished tins at only the finest of shoe stores everywhere :laughat:
back in the days of the first black and white tv's, the old man next door smoked a pipe. would join him on the porch for those five year old serious man to man talks. cut a piece of his apple for me and put a little chunk in his tobacco pouch. he said would keep his baccy' from drying out. would moisten dried up baccy too. he was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.