PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I know many of us do a lot of "work" in our smartphones and tablets these days and use different cloud services to access documents and things from different devices. Some of us keep notes on things we learn here, for instance, about restoration that go into a Dropbox folder for reference. Personally, I do a lot of reading on my iPhone and get irritated that I can't make new files on the go in Dropbox and with the multiple steps it takes to get into some other services.
Yesterday I discovered a free app called CloudOn that let's me work in MS Office in Dropbox, Google Drive, and other services: I can edit and create new documents, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. What little I've used it I really like it. I can see it usful to manage many lists (cellar contents, pipe models, personal notes on tobacco) for personal and business use. You can find it on the App Store and I believe there's also a YouTube video on its use and features.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks Greg! I use my iPad for work and documents have been an issue for me so far. I'll be trying this app out.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Evernote is good for actual documents. Google docs works pretty well also.
I actually use a couple of apps where you can save notes and collect bookmarks. One is called Pocket the other is called Springpad. In Springpad you can create notebooks for different subject matters and keep notes within them. You can also choose to make them public or private. You can also install add ons to "Spring" any website to a notebook of you choosing and document it later. This is easy from phone, tablet or computer.
I am a Droid user by the way so I am not positive if the apps I mentioned above "Except for Evernote) are available in the App Store. I use a droid phone and tablet.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Glenn,

I thought about EverNote but wanted something full featured and free! LOL I also like it that CloudOn actually works in Office formats.
If anyone is interested, I found the YouTube videos for both iPad and iPhone Here.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Cheap A$$ :nana:
I thgought Evernote was free? I will look into CloundOn. I could always use more free storage. I currently use DropBox, Google Drive and a few others. Add them up and I think I have close to 300 Gigs of cloud storage for free.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Cheap A$$
Yup! ROFLOL
The basic EverNote is free but its extra for all the features, at least for iOS users it is… I love free cloud storage; I just discovered iCloud with Windows 8. 8)

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
I do tons of work on my phone and tablet but wouldn't be able to put up with the limitations of Apple devices, particularly with respect to transportable files. Everything I can conceive of doing is built into the Android system, which has really impressed me, considering one of my businesses is software engineering lol!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Enjoy it while it lasts. Typical in the software field you always release a product for free. Right now everyone is doing the same thing...Branding. But in a year or so, it will become a paid service just like all others. It’s the nature of the game. You really don't think they are spending millions on servers, bandwidth and people to maintain them.

Retired software company owner…

Craig

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
You really don't think they are spending millions on servers, bandwidth and people to maintain them.
Way to go, Craig... Burst everyone's bubble. :lol:
I use multiple flash drives for everything. Most are clones of one another. The other reason I use them is I have FDAD (Flash Drive Acquisition Disorder). I love to get 32GB of storage for $15. I look through the Sunday circulars to see who has what on sale then I go out and buy a few when they get into my price range. The main reason I've not moved to cloud storage is two-fold. One, I have no real reason to use it. Two, I'm not sure how I feel about my stuff not being physically accessible by me. I realize this second point is ludicrous and rather stupid, but it's just this weird thing I have. I feel like I need my info to be on some drive somewhere in my house or at my desk at work. It does make finding a file that hasn't been copied to the other drive a bit maddening sometimes.
-Jason

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Well, after using it for a couple of days I'm far less impressed with CloudOn that I initially was. It's more difficult to use than it should be, IMO, and the changes don't always get saved: sometimes not at all and sometimes not to where I wanted them. I'll be trying out the new GoogkeDrive app and EverNote now to see how they work for me.
I love flash drives, too, but can't always remember or even know when I'll need one. My problem or need is to be able to store it via mobile (iPhone) and then reliably retrieve on my laptop with little fuss. Dropbox works well in the opposite of how I mostly need it so maybe one of these other services and apps can replace Dropbox and do what I want/need.

Status
Not open for further replies.