PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Gents,

I am looking at adding a third pipe to my rotation. For cost purposes, I was looking at another cob but then I saw the Ozark Mountain Hardwoods. I am sort of intrigued, does anyone have one and how well do they smoke?
Thanks
Jim

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I haven't smoked a hardwood pipe of theirs personally, but just looking at the reviews online at Aristocob's website, they're great smokers. And for around 5 bucks, I don't think you can wrong :puffy:

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The older Ozark Mountain series are a little smaller than the new Rock Maple line they sell. They are a little heavier than their cob counterparts by size but not heavy by any means but the balance is little awkward. I prefer the bent for that reason though I normally prefer straights.
The first few bowls in the hardwoods can be rough as the initial break-in isn't fun but they are nice pipes after than. I don't usually recommend bowl coating with honey but I would here. Also, they all have the cheap plastic stems like the cobs and you may want to upgrade to a Forever Stem down the road.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I have two, and I don't love them. They get quite hot. I'm sticking with the cobs.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I've never tried one, but the next cob I order will probably include one of these. Not expensive and if you don't like it you can get rid of it. Good luck with your decision.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
SWMBO got me one while on a trip, "I thought it would be cool since it's from calico" LOL, it was a nice gesture. They are alright, I used it when I didn't have a rotation yet. Now I hardly use it at all. IF I do it's to sample a tobacco. Not a bad smoker, would rather use a cob however

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Thanks for the feed back fellas. In light if the remarks, I think I will let this pass me on by and look for a different inexpensive pipe for my rotation. Oh well, part of the fun is looking at all the different pipes and figuring out what you want.
In other news....
I just got my cob in the mail today. 10 days from when I ordered it, not shabby for over here in Afghanistan to tell the truth. Filled it up and it smoked wonderfully. Never knew it could smoke that well. Its no wonder everyone goes on and on about them. This is my second pipe, the first being a Nording that has a HUGE bowl. That is definitely an after work pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jsmarriner, on the inexpensive pipe front, I could write a dissertation, but let me point out a couple of possibilities.

Iwan Ries Exclusives, at the Iwan Ries web site, offers compact pipe for about $34 and medium size for around $48

to $52. These are made by Benton in Texas, using (I think it is) Algerian briar, and they are excellent smokers. Buy

one, and you'll have a friend for life. Other great pipes at modest prices are unfinished Savenelli pipes at Cup O Joes.

These will come bare white colored, and have some fills, but will "finish themselves" to a golden honey brown as

you smoke them and the fills will only add an individual touch, and they smoke like Savenellis! If your budget is

really tight, just stick with MM cobs, and try the new bamboo stem cobs from Old Dominion. You're talking $5 to

about $16 bucks a pipe here, and years of happy puffing. Good luck! And if you want more inexpensive pipe advice,

you know who to ask.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
We sell them in the shop I work at. I grabbed one to try a new tobacco (paladin, supposedly horrible but I actually love it) and the pipe turned out to be wonderful for short smokes. It gets a little hot but I clench most of the time anyways. Very good "throw away pipe." It has a little bit of a wood taste to it but a couple of bowls gets it out. Definitely a pipe I'll take kayaking, camping, fishing, anywhere I could lose or break it. For 5 bucks it's a damn good smoker.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I don't think they dry the smoke as much as a cob, and there a little heavier but I can only notice if I have a cob there to compare to, there not bad but if I had the choice I would go with a cob, I still don't regret spending the 3-4 bucks to try it out though.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
No flame wars, just looking for a logical answer:
Why would you choose a MM hardwood pipe that is not made of brier, over a Dr. Grabow brier pipe, other than price?

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Zekest, they are smaller and the design is a little different, that's what made me try one. I honestly think a dr. Grabow would be better though. Of course a cob beats them all :p

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If you are looking for a smaller pipe, why not try a traditional corn cob pipe like Old Dominion, who is also forum sponsor.
www.olddominionpipe.com
The prices are about the same as MM.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
I was looking at them soley on a monetary viewpoint. That being said, I decided to spend a good bit more than what I had intended and ordered this:

1549532_871160819567407_1586038022_n.jpg

its a Butz-Choquin: Smart (1723)and it was just over 80 bucks. Yes it was significantly more than the MM hardwood, but I loved the look of it and I figured that a man needs to treat himself well because .... well just because. Hopefully it will arive over here in Afghanistan in the next few days so i can start breaking it in.

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Actually Northern Hard Rock Sugar Maple is an excellent alternative to briar. A good friend of mine makes beautifully rusticated pipes of this wood and he also pre-coats the bowl with his own charcoal based coating which aids in the break-in process.

I have smoked these extensively and would challenge even the most seasoned pipe smoker to be able to discern the difference in a blind smoke off between maple and briar. The two woods, once broken in, I find impossible to discern. In fact some of my favorite smokers are the pipes made of Maple.

Some critics say maple pipes smoke hot. I find that smoked properly with a properly dried and packed load that Maple smokes no hotter than briar. I have had briar pipes that were hot as a firecracker in the hand. I feel this is more the fault of the smoker than it is the wood. Others say they are more prone to burn out. I know a guy that owns a maple pipe that is older than I am that shows zero signs of burn through. Again more the fault of the smoker in my opinion.

One positive about Maple is the chances that the pipe contains sound solid wood throughout the pipe bowl and shank is much greater than that of briar. The nature of the briar burl posesses a much higher chance of having internal cracks, voids, and sand pits compared to the nature of maple. Even with the most expensive briar blocks there is no guarantee that it will not posess internal flaws. An artisan pipe maker may start out with a very expensive block of premium briar and if he is lucky he will create a premium pipe with drop dead beautiful smooth grain; and yet lurking 1/16 of an inch below the surface of the bowl or the outer surface of his $1000.00 pipe could be a crater the size of the grand canyon that could be discovered five years later when the owner pokes through with a pipe tool. This is far less likely to happen with maple.

Briar does offer some of the worlds most fantastic looking grain for smooth or blasted pipes and in that case they should command premium prices. However, when considering rusticated pipes, maple, olivewood, morta, or strawberry wood does not need to take a backseat to briar and should command the same respect for price as briar; and I'm seeing that finally many pipes made with these alternative woods are finally getting the respect they deserve as far as price goes.

bambam13

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
Hi all, new member and novice pipe smoker here.
I thought I would just put my two cents in, I just ordered a bent and strait from Aristocob (one bent one strait). Like the others have mentioned the break in does suck (going through that now), buts I offer a word of warning. With this recent order, that makes three in total MM hard wood pipes that I have bought, when you get them and before you start breaking them in, I would be sure to look the pipe over thoroughly. When I got my order (and my very first one I ordered ages ago) the shank was sticking out of the bowl slightly. That being said, so far my bent one is smoking great. I contacted Scott and he apologized and promptly offered to send a replacement to me. So far customer service at Aristocob has been great, but this isn't to praise them as much as to let you know to take that into consideration before purchasing.
Cheers!

eolverine

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
Canada
My very first pipe was an MM ozark hardwood. It was a great first impression and it's still used in my rotation a lot even though I've upgraded to much more expensive pipes. The break in was a little harsh but it has been a wonderful smoke after that.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Excellent post, harkpuff. I would just add the humble and often overlooked pear wood to your list of briar alternatives.
jsmarriner: congratulations on a beautiful pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.