PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Always looking to increase my rotation with good quality, but inexpensive pipes, I ordered a bag of 10 cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum.
I'd read several reviews, which led me to expect. I was wrong to expect.
Disappointment? Yeah. Not only did I receive seconds, I received seconds of mostly their least desirable models.
THAT they are seconds, too, is easily observed and somewhat aggravating since most of the problems seem to be with the airways in one form or another.
I won't say that these are unsmokeable, but I will say that if I'd known what I'd get, I'd wait and buy first quality and higher end cobs.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
One of our members gave me a cobb from his MM 'bag-o-seconds' and it is one of my favorite virginia smokers now. Individual experiences will vary I guess...
Better luck in the future.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't commented on the serviceability of these pipes, and I'm confident I haven't wasted my money, but, I'm not as happy with the selection as I had hoped to be, and, the imperfections are more prominent than I'd expected too.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Newbroom sorry to hear that about the bag, as you know I was thinking about it. The four dollar Missouri Prides are ok, but the Washingtons are worth the money and of course the Country Gentleman are fine. Cajun Brad gets the General. See ya.
tinner

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Under $4.00 each. I got about 3 legends, one straight shafted pipe that has the diplomat stem, and the rest are smaller, though, I don't think they're miniatures...thank gawd. They ARE seconds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
newbroom, on the subject of good quality but inexpensive pipes, on which I am somewhat of a resource person, I ask you

to take a look at tobaccopipes.com selection of Chapuis-Comoy pipes from St. Claude France. These are handsome, sturdy,

well designed briar pipes in the grand old French tradition, recommended for new pipe smokers or as travel pipes for the rest

of us. The TP site doesn't always have all the shapes, but they usually have at least several, more if you catch them after a

re-stock. I seem to be the only Forums member cheerleading for these, but I think they're a good buy ($32-$45 range), and

good smokers. Your cobs will serve you well. If you get tired of looking at them, send a few to the free pipe program here on

Forums, a good cause.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I'm curious of what the airway problems are. They shouldn't be too hard to modify to be be used.
As for what you GOT, you got a bag of seconds. What you call less desirable are their better sellers which is why there is a higher percentage of seconds to be put in the bag of seconds where they make no promise to what you will get. Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but how can you expect something form MM when they promise nothing but 10 pipes in a bag.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I got a bag of seconds early on... I think I went 7/10 (good/bad smokers) and most of them needed a few tweaks here or there. Dowels inserted upside down or cracked; nothing a saw or a reamer couldn't fix. Some filter pipes became filterless and other became nosewarmers, but all in all still a good deal. Especially if you're going to end up running one over with the lawnmower or dropping it from the roof cleaning gutters or losing it out the car window.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Where's the photos?? We need photos!!
I'm not sure its realistic to expect lots of variety in the MM grab bag. I would expect 5-7 Legends/ Washingtons, perhaps 1 large style pipe, and the remainder being a mix of Eaton, Pony Express, and Mizzou.
The Legend is their most popular pipe, so it features prominately in these grab bags.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My ratio of legends to smaller pipes was not good. I've smoked a bowl outta this one little apple looking nose warmer with unfinished cob, and it was quite nice. I'd charred the stem to remove some of the material that didn't belong there.
The stems all seem to need to be finished off as well as the ports to the bowls, and some of the port ends are not placed correctly.
I've got a nice rotation of briar augmented by some cobs, but these will serve their purpose.
I'd read reviews of other buyers and most of them reported receiving at least a Gent, or a Gen'l, or a Diplomat, or even a freehand...I struck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.