PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2015
Hello, I am very new to the world of pipe smoking but I was so delighted by todays experience that I felt I must share. My wife knows I just started pipe smoking and picked me up a few Missouri Meershaum pipes to include The Diplomat, The Shire Cobbit, and The Wizard Cobbit. I decided to smoke The Wizard Cobbit and see how it compared to the two chinese cheapies I was using from my starter set. It was quite a phenomenal difference. I packed the pipe half way full of my current preffered blend (due to the huge nature of the bowl) of Sutliff Private Stock Golden Age and lit up. I was instantly suprised by how cool my smoke was. After my charring light I Took a draw expecting a taste similar to the smell of the new pipe (corncob and glue) and was even more suprised by the first flavorful draw of my pipe smoking career. After a few minutes I was actually tasting the tobacco, a first for me. I was detecting nuttiness, the spicyness associated with perique (and from my limited experince I believe I am a perique lover) and interestingly enough a couple times I could have sworn I observed the most subtle hint of coffee. After just one smoke The Wizard gave me a glimpse of the potential of pipe smoking and all I can say is I am impressed and can not wait to finish breaking it in. Time permitting I will see if I can figure out how to get a picture up tomorrow.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Congratulations on having a wife who will not only put up with a bad case of herpes but also buys you pipe stuff. Now that's a keeper! Seriously, though, there is about the same world of difference between a ChiCob and an MM as there is between a horrible briar and a well-made one. I'm glad you saw this difference early instead of doing what some of us have done, wasting money on bad products at best, or giving up on pipe smoking altogether.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Just my own experience with the Shire, not the Wizard, which I think is the big Cobitt and its stem is different than the Shire and the Little Person, but when you remove the stem, use and up and down action to loosen it, NOT a twisting action.

A regular sized pipe cleaner will pass through the stem.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your growing enjoyment of the civilized approach to tobacco.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Any self-respecting tobacconist who wants to retain the respect of its knowledgable customers and that wished to cultivate new pipe smokers, should feed their ChiCobs to the shredder.
Garbage is not a bargain at any price.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
With my Wizard, Shire or Elf I allow at least 45 min for a cool relaxing smoke. As I said before these make great flake pipes.
John

May 4, 2015
I got a wizard cobbit bowl in a grab bag from MM. It's a great pipe. I wish they sold the stems separately, but no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.