PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Just placed an order for a Ten Pipe Grab Bag of Smokable Seconds from Missouri Meerschaum (is that enough caps). Not so much to start off the August PAD, but to have some pipes on hand for loaners ( or givers as I wouldn't expect to take them back).

While I was on vacation a few weeks ago my nephew harassed me to use one of my pipes until I gave in. It killed me to give him my favorite Savinelli Oscar estate pipe for the duration of the trip (my first briar pipe). He'll be starting school in St Johns this year so I expect he'll be coming over occasionally (at least to do laundry). So I figure the best way to protect my briar is to have a bunch of these on hand. Here's hoping I get a few good ones in the lot.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I know the feeling. Not a big fan of loaning anything. I would rather have a few cheapo pipes on hand to give away. Let us know what you get in the grab bag, if they're decent it's a good deal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Give the kid a few for his own rotation, and keep one on hand as a loaner when he visits. Tell him, hands

off your briars, in some cheerful polite way. If MM says they're smokable, they are. And if they're smokable

they'll last for years and years. Explain this to the kid so he understands they aren't throw-aways. Tell him

if he hangs onto them and doesn't break them, he can smoke them in retirement. That may make him think.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
good choice.. Its nice to have a bunch of cheap pipes to lend to friends or family...

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I've also gotten the grab bag of 10, and honestly most of them I couldn't see why they were cast aside as "smokable seconds".
I only have a couple of briars, so these are actually my main rotation. They are great pipes, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. In fact, you wouldn't be the first one to get them as 'throw aways' and end up enjoying them as much - at times more - than your briars.
Happy piping! :puffy:

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Is the grab bag mostly Legends? I have three Legends, and each one has developed a crack in the cob, in only three months. I have a Country Gent, for two months, and it's much better built than the Legend. I expect to have the CGent for a long time. If the grab bag contains a CG or a Diplomat, than I'd be interested.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
If you nephew really likes the cobs you might direct him to WalkerBriarWorks for a Forever Stem. Lots of choices and an inexpensive way to customize his pipe. The standard stems aren't made to last like the pipes.
I have the P-Lip for my Diplomat and Country Gentleman. Just ordered a stem for my wife's Mizzou.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
wernda,
I ended up with a couple of the hardwood pipes, a couple pony cobs, a couple Legends, an Apple shaped one, a Country Gent...
It really is just an assortment. I'm not very fond of the hardwood pipes, but I've only smoked them once each and haven't really even tried to break them in yet. They may improve with a cake similar to a briar, I'm not sure.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I generally buy Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Prides 3 or 4 at a time. For $3.25 each I like the size and shape of them and do not have to guess what I am getting.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I love my MM cobs. Among others i've been smoking my Country Gentleman for over a year. Also picked up a few forever stems for the lot. I figure I learned my lesson about keeping a few expendibles on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.